Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have recently had a new unvented pressurised system put in our house to replace the old one. I'm trying to understand how our heating will now work to the underfloor heating part of the house. We have underfloor heating in the conservatory that seems to be controlled by a thermostat on a pipe. I'm trying to work out if this is still working following the change in system. There never seems to be any heat going into the conservatory zone.

Also the pump never seems to make a sound.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Many thanks

Linda

IMG_3950.JPG

Hi Linda , your unvented system is hot water only it has no effect on the UFH , however you may have had your heating system pressurised .
If that is your UFH to your conservatory , and theres no mixing valve hidden anywhere it is a very crude system, but strangeley should work .
When the pump is running , assuming it does, you should feel a very slight vibration through it .

Thanks so much for your reply, the central heating is also on the pressurised system now. I think this underfloor heating set-up was one of the first to be done!! There is definitely nothing happening on the red pump and when the central heating is on the pipes leading under the conservatory are not heating up at all, except if I flick the switch to manual on the motorised zone silver thing (you can tell I've no real idea), then the pipes do heat up!! I'm not sure if warm water then comes back from the conservatory as I get too nervous about everything leaking so move it back to auto and everything seems to switch itself back off!!

You have diagnosed this yourself , the valve maybe fauly ( the one you are moving ) or possibly the pipe stat is set too low or again faulty , you could try turning it up slightly to see if it opens the valve .
Like I said it is a very crude system , UFH systems have a mixing valve attached what cools down the hot water from the boiler to a safe temperature.

Maybe frost stat but normally they only go up to 20c

No idea. I was told it regulates the heat going into the conservatory by the past owners and at 21 it was set low. No idea about the whole thing really.

You don't reckon they've set that pipe stat up so it switches the pump OFF once the pipe reaches a certain temperature do you? As a very crude way of controlling the UFH? Perhaps UFH pump is always on when central heating is on, with the pipe stat turning it off at a certain temperature?

On an aside, the install is a bit naff with pump shaft at 45 degrees from horizontal (and electrical enclosure on the underside of it) etc, but that won't be the problem, unless it's knackered the pump bearings (unlikely).

Have you tried turning that thermostat both up and down (it'll click)? Also, the speed selector on the pump (on the electrical enclosure on the underside) can be clicked up and down from speeds 1 to 3 or I to III and you'll certainly hear/feel it if it's running on 3 or III.

Make a note of all existing settings before you fiddle with switches etc.

Underfloor heating can quite easily airlock - you normally have to blast mains water through it when you first install it, perhaps air got pushed in during the works? Though an airlock won't generally stop a pump turning.

As an aside, if the pump hasn't run all summer, it may have seized... Look upo how to free off a jammed central heating pump - various pictures and videos online.

Hi

I think that’s exactly what the pipe stat is used for.

When the new system was put in the plumber said it would work but it quite plainly isn’t.

I’ve contacted a few plumbers tonight as I’d rather have some sort of wifi control that takes the temp from the conservatory and not temp from the cupboard pipe. I’m hoping these controls can be changed and updated. Do you think it can?

Thanks

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor heating query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock