Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating - problems with thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAK

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice and hope somebody can help. I live in a new build house with underfloor heating on the lower floor and radiators on the top two. The bottom floor was controlled with a wall thermostat and the upper floor was controlled with a Salus room thermostat.

I recently purchased a Nest thermostat which was the start of my issues. Had it installed to replace the Salus room thermostat and realised (obviously in retrospect) that it only controlled the upper floors. This was disappointing as we keep upstairs at a fairly low temperature.

I spoke to the chap who installed it and he recommended wiring the underfloor thermostat so it was permanently on and then disconnecting it from the boiler. This way it would all work as one zone and the Nest could control all of it. This was done but now the underfloor heating barely comes on. The boiler comes on for 15 hours a day but the temperature downstairs doesn't get above 17.

Just wondering if anybody could give any insight as to what is currently happening with the heating and the best way to rectify this - presumably connecting the original thermostat back up. In addition is it worth buying another smart thermostat for the underfloor heating or should this mainly be left on anyway in which case a wall thermostat is fine.

I'd be grateful for any advice - as I'm sure you can tell I need it.

Thanks,

Not sure why he has told you to do that, get a spark in who is heating savvy and should have that sorted for you in no time (assuming it was working correctly before he fiddled with it.)

Nest is rubbish with underfloor.
Get the underfloor thermostat wired back in as it was and let nest control the rads.

You get a Honeywell Evohome setup that would be able to do all you need, but not cheap to do as the existing UFH controller would need to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor heating - problems with thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I'm considering having my heating system controlled by Honeywell Evohome. I have a question about the underfloor heating controller.... I have a single zone water underfloor heating in the kitchen. The controller is currently a Wunda. I've never been all that happy with it because...
Replies
Views
As part of deep house renovation, planning to install wet ufh on the ground floor, and radiators on upper floor. Two bathrooms will have both water based towel warmers and electric ufh, and need dual thermostat to separately control air temp (by running towel warmer) and floor temp. Need...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient to heat the rooms. We have only a woodburning stove (15kW nominal output) that heats our open plan lounge/kitchen/diner directly (6.5kW from the...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional actuators. Problem is , one loop (far right in photo) isn't heating the floor (timber suspended) . I've bled the loop via a hosepipe, shut off all the other...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock