Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm looking a bit of expert advice on an idea I have.

We moved into a new house a few months ago which has its master bedroom over the garage. We used the bedroom for the first two months but have since changed because it was so cold.

I've insulated the loft and sealed the garage door which has helped but the room is still cold each morning. The floor is so cold I need to put my slippers on to go into the room.

We have ofch and the burner is in the garage below the bedroom. I was thinking of either redirecting the pipe that goes to the rad in the bedroom to zigzag under the bedroom floor or diverting as the hot water as it comes out of the burner, zigzaged underneath the bedroom floor and then back to where it was diverted from to continue on its original route.

Sorry if that's hard to understand I've tried to explain as best I can.

A few things I'd like advice on are

Is the above idea possible?

If so, how would you go about it?

Zigzagging underneath the floor would add roughly 25m of pipe so would i need to change/upgrade the pump or anything else?

Could plastic pipe be used to minimise joints?

Any other things to consider?

You will lose heat if you do it like that probably at the detriment of the rest of the heating in the house. You would be better off with a single under floor heating pack.

Thanks for the reply Riley.

Could you post a link to a single underfloor heating pack please so I can make sure I know what you're referring to

Something like this. There Will likely be additional kit needed depending on your floor in your bedroom

Better option would be the alu spreader plates will link a kit when I get in

My sons bedroom is over our garage so I can empathsise - is the space under the floor insulated? do you have carpet or wood flooring? does the radiator heat up as well as the remaining upstairs radiators?

My son has a single radiator and he's not complained as yet...

My sons bedroom is over our garage so I can empathsise - is the space under the floor insulated? do you have carpet or wood flooring? does the radiator heat up as well as the remaining upstairs radiators?

My son has a single radiator and he's not complained as yet...

Hi Murdoch, the void under the bedroom floor is insulated but if it's anything like the loft it'll be poorly insulated. We currently have a wooden floor but changing to carpet which is when I plan to have some sort of ufh system installed.

The radiator heats up fine there's no issue with it that I'm aware of.

^^ wooden floors are not renown for feeling warm.

Decent underlay and a decent carpet will transform the room.

I walked into my son's room this morning, it was minus 7 outside and the carpet was fine to bare feet

If carpeting then just pull up floor first and insulate well. Redo floor. Underlay, carpet and bigger radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor heating advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock