Search the forum,

Discuss Un answered questions looking for help to understand in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daveleaver

Hello all

My boiler has been looked at and tested over the past week and now have been told its time for a new one. I wanted to change it eventually as its poor but money isnt a luxury i have at the moment.

Heres the details.

Ideal isar he30 loosing pressure - engineer filled system to over a bar and isolted CH side - he then confirmed it is the boiler not any pipework or rads - the next test was to see if it was coming out the prv the result of this was no however noticed the condensate pipe is dripping even if the boiler is switxhed off all day! - the conclusion is a crack in the main heat exchanger? Which i understand is very expensive so not economical to repair do you think i should ask him to carry out further tests is there else it could be?

Also during this whole episode i was faced with some things that confused any knowledge i have (not a lot) when the boiler did lose all its pressure he told me to top up see if it does it again and let him know so i topped it up and just went with the idea of if the hot water or heating stops working/running then its gone under a bar. Couple of days later i checked and it had in fact dropped to 0 however the ch and hot water were both working as normal? What is that about is tjat even possible?

Look forward to some responses.

Regards

David

You have a very good engineer there. He has done all the right things to confirm its a leaking heat exchanger. Nobody would replace a hex on one of these boilers. So I'm afraid it's time for a new one.
I personally, only like to fit boilers with stainless steel heat exchangers. So would fit a Vaillant boiler. Or ideal vouge

as above your chap has done what a decent engineer should have. New boiler time it is

Hi

Thanks for the replys. Yeah he is good he is a friend of a friend so i actuslly dont have his number. Ive been speaking to my friend and he is talking to the engineer. So thats why i asked the question below if i ask ny friend he doesn't get back to me on this question

No ideas why I'd get ch and dhw with no pressure?

Dave

Nice to see a positive comment on GS engineers not swanning in and supposedly ripping folk off. Plenty of boilers out there. My advise go with the known brands, Worcester Bosch, Vaillant etc and check if there are extended warranties and what their t&c s are. Worcester Bosch give guarantees, so as long as the boiler is serviced every year by a competent GS engineer they will fix no quibble within the guarantee period.

Hi

Thanks for the replys. Yeah he is good he is a friend of a friend so i actuslly dont have his number. Ive been speaking to my friend and he is talking to the engineer. So thats why i asked the question below if i ask ny friend he doesn't get back to me on this question

No ideas why I'd get ch and dhw with no pressure?

Dave
Pressure gaug probably out of calibration. Or other issues inside the boiler, which we don't need to go into.

Morning all. Made some progress into the new boiler front my engineer has suggested it is possible if i got the same brand boiler i.e the ideal vouge mentioned above that the exisitng flue may fit. Wondered what your thoufhts are on this he is going to contact ideal when he can and see if the flue measurements are the same something about the diameter? My flue involves roof work you see. The other issue is he works for a company therefore his gas safe is under them so even if he fitted the boiler privately he cant commison it! I dont know what to do i therefore have the means to get the boiler and get it fitted for a reasonable price but not commisoned but if i get someone else in to do it how do i know there as good as him! I am in the chatham/maidstone area if anyone is local and fancies coming over to give me a price. Its a combi swap for another combi in the loft with flue out the roof as mentioned above im happy to get the new boiler and dispose of the old one i just want the job done properly safe and legally. Again thanks for all the previous help really happy with this forum and the support you lot are great. And its nice to hear from people who obviously take prife in their job and share honest knowledge.

If your guy is doing the job out of company hours for you. Could he have a word with his boss and let the lad commision it in company hours. You will have to pay his boss. But then it will be registered and guaranteed.
I personally won't fit a customer supplied boiler, as I need to cover the gas side overheads. Most plumbers won't rip you off, so it might be worth getting a price of a local gas safe engineer before you start.

Yeah i called one he came round was looking we had a lengthy discussion and he decided to change the pressure gauge and its fine lol!!! Still saving for a new boiler as now the hot water is showing h a code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Un answered questions looking for help to understand in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
We have a three zone heating system plus water cylinder (OSO Super S 250L) on an Valliant EcoTec 637. Two CH zones and a UFH zone. Boiler is rarely at maximum power rating, even at full tilt. The UFH zone has it's own pump and the other two zones (three storey house) are just pumped from the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need to tell you about my system, and the problem I’ve been having. Just over 7years ago I had a new CH system installed in my small semi. I say new – in...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable After i re-pressurize to 1.5 bar, using tap is ok without problem. but when turn on the central heating, the pressure rises over 2 and the error code 117 showing water pressure high After i did the bleeding and re-pressurize to 1.3 bar, the heating is...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a baxi duotec combi boiler that every day or other day needs topping up as pressure drops below 0.5bar. When fired up it can reach OVER 2.5bar also whilst running CH. Is this more than likely a flat Expansion Vessel that needs inflating or could there be other possible causes if...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock