Search the forum,

Discuss UFH No Heat in Two Rooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you can help.

We currently have no heat in two rooms and I am sure they are on the same loop. The actuator is rising so I assume that the thermostat is working.

I assume therefore that it is the actuator or air in the loop. I have a couple of questions:

- If the head on the actuator is rising and falling would that mean the actuator itself isn't faulty?
- Can I take the actuator off the manifold without flooding the house to check if the pin is stuck? I assume that it just unclips from everything I have read but wanted to check.
- If the pin isn't stuck then likely air in the system? I'd get help at that point!

Many thanks.

Haaz

Yes take it off and see if you can manually open the valve
Many thanks. I have taken the actuator off and just checking now if the bit in the actuator goes up and down properly (which I think it does).

I assume with the actuator taken off the room should heat up?

When you talk about the pin sticking is that the pin in the valve on the manifold or the "thingy" inside the actuator? If the former I assume you should be able to push the pin down manually?

Many thanks for your help.

Haaz

Generally its a pin , turn the thermostat up and down and see if the actuator is working

The actuator is going up and down as I adjust the thermostat and I can easily depress the pin manually. Even without the actuator attached the pipe to the valve isn't getting hot (although the other end is).

I have increased the flow (not sure if that will help but I have given it a go!) and that hasn't worked either.

In fact on all the actuators that are demanding heat the pipe to the valve isn't hot.

I have also noted that there is a small leak and on the attached image you can see a little rust on top of the pump. I assume that could be allowing air into the system which could be blocking the flow?

The only other thing I thought of is the pump. How can you tell whether the pump is working or not?

Many thanks

Haaz

20180224_074759.jpg

Last edited:
No I haven't adjusted anything other than tweaking the flow rate. I have checked the large nut above the pump which seems tight. There was a smaller nut above which I was able to tighten easily (I have had to tighten this one in the past) so hopefully that will deal with the leak.

There is a leaver on the right hand side of the pump and it is already up to the top - it looks like the maximum setting to me.

Should the pump make a noise at all. The pump is entirely quiet and if you touch it (it is hot) you can't feel any vibration. Is this normal? However, there is heat in some rooms so I assume it is still working.

Thanks

Haaz

Yes you are on max then .
Put the UFH on , Get a towel and a bowl , and carefully move undo the big chrome screw , some water will come out , be careful and hold the towel over the screw hole you should see the pump turning through the screw hole.

Cheers is that the silver screw on the front?
I guess if the pump is turning then I am back to air in the system?

Many thanks

Haaz

Cheers is that the silver screw on the front?
I guess if the pump is turning then I am back to air in the system?

Many thanks

Haaz

Yes , I wouldnt normal do this but with the screw removed and the pump turning , carefully put a large screwdriver through the hole and try stop the pump , sounds drastic but it is somtimes the only way of testing them . If you can easily stop the pump its nackered. If the pump is strong enough it will throw the screwdriver out . Good luck

Many thanks. That may be pushing it a bit far for me tbh. Everything I touch lately seems to go wrong! I've never had such a run of things breaking down :) I am really grateful for all the help but think it may be time to go to plan B sadly.

Many thanks. That may be pushing it a bit far for me tbh. Everything I touch lately seems to go wrong! I've never had such a run of things breaking down :) I am really grateful for all the help but think it may be time to go to plan B sadly.

Yep I can understand that , a pump swap shouldnt cost you that much but it does sound like that may be the problem.

Thought I would just complete the thread by saying that it is actually the pump that is shot. In fact it wasn't pumping at all. I understand that the heat in some floors was simply due to the pressure from the boiler pushing some hot water round but it isn't strong enough to heat every room.

Thanks Townfanjon for all the help :)

Haaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to UFH No Heat in Two Rooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock