Search the forum,

Discuss U-Bend Washing Machine issue. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamiep

Hi everyone. Me and my girlfriend recently moved house. We used the washing machine and realised there was a large 'leak' from somewhere. Basically the outlet hose is pushing the flow of water out into our piping at quite a fast rate, and the U-Bend cannot deal with it and is flowing out of the top (see attachment). Quite a lot of water as well. We have checked the piping and do not think there are any blockages. The pipe itself looks like it should be able to deal with the water flow, but it's obviously not. A plumber is coming out to have a look today, but I wanted some thoughts? The hose isn't clipped anywhere, so maybe attaching this to the piping? Was thinking of taking the U-Bend out but I think that's there to stop smells?

Thanks,

Jamie Plummer (bonus points for my name)

Attachments

• Pipe.PNG
    Pipe.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 51
The outgoing pipe should be around 11/2" dia

Also you have to watch you don't push the outlet hose from the appliance too far in (4-6") is more than enough

Don't remove the u bend as your right it's there for a reason

Thanks, I think the pipe is large enough. I think we may have had the outlet hose slightly deeper than you mentioned, but the shear amount of water coming back up was the worrying part, it was like nothing was flowing at all. Shall we see what the plummer says/does and report back.

Where does the waste pipe attached to this U bend go to? Something is blocked.
If it goes out to a gulley outside, then check the end of the waste pipe isn't blocked with leaves etc on the gulley grate, or that the end is down into water with perhaps the gulley itself blocked.
Also check waste pipe hasn't a dip in it, causing an air lock.

Some people have the vertical section of pipe too short.

I also was thinking that. See a lot with just 200mm of vertical waste pipe until the bend. How they don't flood beats me.

Thanks guys, the plumber came round yesterday and had a look but couldn't see anything. He's coming back Thursday to have a go and thinks there is a build up of something in the pipes as the sink basin is draining too slowly. It goes under the shower and bath I think outside. The vertical waste pipe definitely isn't too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to U-Bend Washing Machine issue. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock