Search the forum,

Discuss Two zone valves on a combi boiler in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
i never seen this done until I saw it yesterday. There is two room stats on each level. But the rooms that ave the room stats the radiators aren't locksheilds Ey have trvs? I've always learned that this would conflict with each other and the house would never reach the temperature set on the room stat as the trv would always stop the flow to radiator before the room stat is satisfied. It is a twin channel programmer I don't understand if you have two zones on wen one is satisfied how does the other zone get chance when this would switch off boiler?

Building regs say we zone all floors now and the TRV's are not fitted to the rad in the same room as the room stat to eliminate the conflit you mention. They are wired to a wiring centre and individually controll the boiler regardless of what either zone is doing at the time.

Boiler gets fired from either zone, or both.
If the TRV in the room with the room thermostat is left on maximum, there should be no conflict.

Surely the temperature set on max with the trv located nearer the floor level will cut the flow before it has time to satisfiy the room stat. the temperature set at 30 on the room stat and the trv set on five it will still conflict with each other surely?

I'm I correct that the room stat only closes the zone valve not the boiler? So what happens about the boiler interlock? Cheers

Thanks for all your fed back. I'm only learning so I'm asking questions so I can learn.

Ok well the house that I saw this two zones a 2 storey building had trv in the same room with the radiator.

i never seen this done until I saw it yesterday.

Deleted my original answer because it overlooked the 'zone valves' mentioned in the title but not in the question.

What type of thermostats are they? Do they predate the combi?

The system described could work okay as long as the TRVs had higher setpoints than the thermostat in the same room. It wouldn't comply with current regulations, however. Might have been okay in the distant past when systems could be timeswitch controlled, have TRVs everywhere and a bypass.

Better to convert to something more conventional IMO.

Last edited:
if not draining down just remove trv top but would need to keep trv top or cap to be able to switch valve off if required

• Agree
Reactions: deg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Two zone valves on a combi boiler in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock