Search the forum,

Discuss Two Port Valve Intermittently Working - Driving me mad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a fault with my CH that has only started in the last few days and its driving me mad.
My system is set up as follows - CH, HW and UFH.
There are two port valves on each and they all work independently.
CH stat is Salus RF, UFH is Polypipe again RF.
Programmer for CH & HW is Honeywell 7 day.
The system has worked perfectly for 12 months (when it was all installed)
In the last few days the CH has stopped coming on but intermittently. HW and UFH still work fine.
The Salus receiver is picking up the stat signal just fine (light goes green) but the 2 port valve isnt powering up and obviously not calling for heat from the boiler. Sounds like a faulty 2 port you're thinking? Well thats what I thought, but the problem is after hours, sometimes a day the valve will open and the CH works!
There seems to be no pattern to this, it just opens when it feels like it.
For example, not CH all night last night or this morning when it would usually be on, then at 0915 this morning (3 hours after it is meant to come on) the valve decides to power up even though the Salus receiver has had a green light all morning.
We have the CH on constantly on the programmer and the clock in the Salus room stat controls when the heating comes on etc.
I would have thought a 2 port either works or it doesnt. Has anyone come across a fault where the 2 port sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?
I dont want to go replacing the head for no good reason.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks

Intermittent happens more than you’d think. Take the head off and see how freely the spindle turns, it could be that the whole thing that needs replacing

Ok, thanks. So you're thinking maybe the motor is ok but cant turn the spindle for some reason? Should I be able to turn the spindle with my fingers? The 2 port is less than 12 months old, but I suppose it could jam up.
I guess another test of this would be next time it doesn't open up, take the head off and see if it opens with no spindle to turn against.

Both good tests it could also filthy system water and muck stopping the valve working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Two Port Valve Intermittently Working - Driving me mad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock