Search the forum,

Discuss Turn Off Mains Supply to Edinburgh flat. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Jamieson

Hi.

I live in a flat in Hutchison in Edinburgh. We are currently installing a new kitchen, most of which we are doing ourselves. The kitchen sink is being moved from one wall to another. The existing cold water pipe to the kitchen sink therefore needs to be shortened. There is a stopcock or stopvalve on the cold water pipe below the sink, however there is no stopcock further down the pipe to turn the water off. The 15mm kitchen sink pipe runs round the kitchen walls and into a cupboard where it Tees into a large diameter pipe. This pipe comes up from the floor and straight through the ceiling with no other valves. Do I need to turn off the water to the whole block of flats to turn off the mains water to my kitchen stopcock in order to remove it and place it further down the pipe. From the left circle to the right circle in the picture. All the other piping after the stopvalve will be removed, it's some terrible piping running through the wall to an electric shower.

2013-12-06 20.50.29.jpg

There is one strange pipe outside our flat door with a weird hole on it which looks like it takes a key? Does anyone know if this is the mains to the flat?

2013-12-06 20.30.53.jpg

I hope that all makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
get a plumber trained, qualified and insured, your insurance company wont pay out when you flood the flat below from a abit of DIY !!!

and you wont appreciate the hike in premiums either :)

where does your water pipe enters your flat? you could install aladdin isolator there and shut whole flat but as said get a plumber to do any work as he is insured so it would be covered if anything goes wrong

hi mark i no the flats in edinburgh well is this a ex council house as there are lots up there which are council houses which have been bought, depends where you are take it you in a flat rather than the high flats

The pipe our side in the stairwell is the gas

If the stopcock isn't above the front door or near there look in beside the cold tank probably above your bathroom.
Your second picture is the lateral valve for the gas. Leave it alone.

hi mark i no the flats in edinburgh well is this a ex council house as there are lots up there which are council houses which have been bought, depends where you are take it you in a flat rather than the high flats

The pipe our side in the stairwell is the gas

Hi Mate, Thanks very much for the reply. I'm in the 6 in a block flats, not the high rises.

I will leave the Gas pipe alone, thanks for pointing that out.

We found the main stopcock outside the back door to the flats. There aren't any for each individual flat apparently. The mains pipe runs in through the floor in the boiler cupboard and straight through the ceiling. There is one Tee coming off it which runs directly to the kitchen sink. There is a stopcock where it meets the sink.

There is another cold water pipe in the cupboard with a stopcock on it. However we think this is from the cold water tank as it only turns off water to the bath, toilet and bathroom sink.

We are going to turn the water off to the flats, move the stop valve, then turn the water back on.

Thanks for your help.

the ones down hutchison road are like that but some of the house have stopcocks i no alot of the council ones do as we had to fit them within the house any more problems give us a shout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Turn Off Mains Supply to Edinburgh flat. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock