Search the forum,

Discuss Trying to get my head around the cause of three cold radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I have three radiators in my house that are not warming up at all, the other radiators are hot. All the valves (they aren't thermostatic) are open on the three cold rads, and each have in-pipes that are hot to the touch, but the radiators themselves are uniformly cold. Bleeding the radiators gives clear water.

A British Gas engineer, who recently came out to repair a broken pump and boiler fuse, balanced the system, and suggested a powerflush. However, the more I think about it, the odder it seems. When he drained the system to change the pump, I watched the end of the hosepipe, and the water was visibly clear then, also.

Any thoughts?

The draining water often looks completely clear even though rads and pipes are full of magnetite.
If it was working prior to the gas engineer work, then maybe an airlock. Just turn other rads off and run heating to see if those rads work.
But if it is dirt, get one of the rads that are not heating removed and flushed with a garden hose, plus have the both valves flushed through to see if that works.

British Gas always seem to suggest a powerflush for just about anything. I think they must get commission for doing them. Firstly if your incoming pipes are warm I expect that the system is not properly balanced. I would try as Best has suggested above by turning off the other radiators etc. There is a lot of information on how to balance your heating system if you search on the net.

Are you on a two pipe or single pipe system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trying to get my head around the cause of three cold radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock