Search the forum,

Discuss TRV4 Sensing heads breaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have Drayton TRV4's and over the last few years quite a number of the sensing heads have started to break off. As far as I can tell the gland seal on the valve starts to weep, water gets into the plastic head and attacks the plastic which becomes brittle and cracks.

They were fitted 18 years ago and now is the time to do something about it.

I have 15 of these valves to replace but TRV4's are so expensive compared to say the Danfoss RAS-d2 TRV's.

So I have two questions..
1) Would I be making a mistake moving to the Danfoss?

2) If I did replace them with Danfoss, could/should I just change the valve body and re-use the existing pipe nut/olive and screw-in rad connector?

thanks in advance

The Drayton Trvs always did leak and heads broke, - that is why I wouldn’t use them, but some plumbers like them.
Unfortunately the Danfoss valves have different finished nuts etc.
If you go with Danfoss, just get the nuts, olives and rad valve tails replaced. Simple job.
Or buy similar valves to what you have.
I think you can buy a cheap version of Drayton which will have same finish of chrome and same distance of olive depth. So only need to replace the body

odd isnt it i have never had any problems wuth draytons leaking, worst valves for me were always danfos. wonder if it is area and water hardness, as i am manchester based so we have very soft water

odd isnt it i have never had any problems wuth draytons leaking, worst valves for me were always danfos. wonder if it is area and water hardness, as i am manchester based so we have very soft water

To be fair to Drayton valves, the OP did say theirs was fitted 18 years ago, so they have lasted well beyond what could be hoped for.
Danfoss valves I do like their quality, but their bodies are oddball (nickel finish and pipe distance into valve), so I stopped using them.
Did you know you can buy the glands for Danfoss TRVs, including the very old versions? Dead easy to just remove and screw new one in without draining

i was sent a tool for danfos i think could have been drayton for fettling the valves

Yea like a balancing key

Reply to TRV4 Sensing heads breaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock