Search the forum,

Discuss Train 4 trade skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stonethrower76

Can anyone tell me more about train 4 trade skills i have been paying them monthly since last september and seen some very bad feed back about the qualifications and training they offer.

Are they really that bad and are the qualifications they offer not going to get me anywhere.

Do i have to go to college and pay extra and can anyone recommend a course to take at a low cost but get 6129 and 6089 qulaifications in sheffield area with good results.

Please help:mad:

Hi There pal , i couldnt really tell you about train 4 trades skills, but if you want a good qualifacation it just isnt possible for it to be low cost, they are around 4-5k with private training places like BTSC ect. maybe looking into local collage courses but remember they take twice as long. hope it helps ya somewhat? :) JEP

Hi, Don't waste your money! If you do not have an NVQ 2 already the government will pay for you to get one at your local college and you will only have to pay the cost of materials used, about £350 per year. It will take about 2 years to complete but you can choose how you take the course i.e. Day release, Block release or evening courses. You will have to find employment in your second year or you will only be able to complete a level 2 certificate in plumbing and mechanical engineering. If you can't find work, you will have to get your work signed off when you do find work in the trade, and then you can go on to take your level 3. but you can take your gas (corgi) and oil (oftec) with just a NVQ level 2. What people don't seem to understand is that qualification's do NOT turn you in to a good plumber and that hard work, study, sacrifice and learning by your mistakes and other mistakes that people tell you about is the only way to learn. These courses will give you a bit of paper for a lot of money that most good plumbing company's will not consider and see it as you have just tried to buy a qualification. I am a supervisor for a plumbing company and the first thing I look for is what college you attended! If its one of these courses your C.V. goes straight in the bin along with quite a few others that have attended the same courses. Its a shame because quite a few of these guys would make a good plumbers and I've seen some plumbers that have been through college courses and I wouldn't let them change a tap washer! But it's the same in all type's of career and some of the people that have been on these courses will have great success stories. But I would bet that in most cases there not working as plumbers unless its for them selfs or sub contracting. In my experience it's best to start with a good foundation and build up rather than try to cut corners as it will always come back to bit you in the end.
Buster

Interesting comment, Buster, especially from someone in your position.
I think you are right. I did a 20 week Level 2 course last year, heard all the BS about £40k a year and dismissed it immediately.
I took the course because I wanted some formal training, it was good and I did well but it doesn't buy success. I've had a real hard time. There's a LOT to learn, the certificate will help win work because at least you have got off your arse and stumped up the money, serious money too! Customers are reassured by qualifications but the real learning begins the day you discover airlocks, hot-water tanks that NEVER match and bl===y awkward fixings, designs etc.!
I'd love to do an NVQ2 but try getting a job in plumbing!! You need that to get the verification or at least a recognised signatory, not so easy. I'm hoping to shadow a guy I know, a real opportunity because in the end, the qualifications and knowledge of regulations are necessary but learning from an experienced person in the real world is what will help you survive.
As my mum used to say, 'Terry, welcome to the world of plumbing!'
TerryH

I for one have had enough of these fast track schemes, making people believe they can be capable Plumbers / heating engineers/ gasman in such a short time.
Come on get real, why is there a shortage of skilled tradesmen, cos its a Rubbish job most of the time, everyone all of a sudden wants to be a plumber cos they can earn big bucks they're told, bulls**t.
These guys are fooling you, they are the equivalent of snake oil salesman from the old west, wake up and smell the roses before you lose too much dosh. Check out Ebay, full of newish gear bought by those who found out the hard way.
I could care less how many plumbers there are cos I know I can do the job far better than any 10 week fast track johnny, that will always keep me in work.
If you want to blame someone for this situation, go back to the early 80,s, the rot set in then, when everyone was encouraged / forced to go self employed in the construction industry, now the large majority are one man bands , who only just manage at times to make a decent living, let alone employ a trainee, its the facts, nothing to do with protectionism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Train 4 trade skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock