Search the forum,

Discuss Total apologies from a very distressed first timer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hopeless

I know you all must be fed up of people joining, asking a question, getting good avice then never to be seen again. I am sorry to say I maybe one of those but don't know who else to turn too.

The simple reason is I am completely skint and am trying to help my ex g/f do up her negative equity house in the hope of trying to sell it and take some of the burden off her.

I appreciate any advice because to be honest it's desperate...here goes..and thank you

She has an oil fired gravity fed central heating/hot water system using a myson velaire pressure jet 50/50..She had it serviced about 6 weeks ago and all is working ok.

about 2 weeks ago we had a dramatic temp drop which led to upstairs having hot water but no cold and downstairs having no hot but having cold...it took most of the day with the heating on to thaw the pipes but after almost all day normal service was resumed before the cold night fell

This was okay until last night when the upstairs has both hot and cold water but the downstairs has only cold. the funny thing is when you turn the downstairs hot taps on nothing comes out but if i turn the downstairs cold water utility room cold taps on..cold water comes out of the other two ground floor hot taps?

I hope this layout helps.

IMG.jpg

from what I can manage to see it would appear that the hot and cold water pipes going down are standard 15mm pipes from the 1st floor to the ground floor. they are against an outside wall but are not lagged at all just bare pipes but I can only see some of the pipes as they are boxed in with some parts of the downstairs and boxed behind the toilet upstairs

I know the loft pipes are well lagged but these two pipes going down are not at all .

I suspect the two down pipes are the issue could anyone offer some free advice?

Again I am really sorry to be an interloper but with no cash to even pay a professional I hoped some one might be able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
the downstairs taps are probably mixer taps, the high pressure cold water is being forced back up the hot pipes.

play a hair-dryer on them,if they keep freezing they need lagging

Had this today, doownstairs no hot but cold.. upstairs no cold but hot?

Pipes frozen in roofspace above kitchen, no lagging

Thank you all, certianly the downstairs taps I mentioned in the utility room are mixers but the ones in the downstairs toilet and the kitchen are individual seperate taps

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right - jobs for friend and ex's rarely go without hitch . . . .

The only person I work for free for is me - the rest of you its £45 per hour!

Couldn`t agree more, well said

i used to help X's until my amount of X's became too many i was significantly out of pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Total apologies from a very distressed first timer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock