Search the forum,

Discuss Torbeck valve and overflowing cistern (with video) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I got home this evening and found that my toilet cistern was barely filling up so I turned off the mains, managed to unscrew the torbeck valve and gave it a clean as there seemed to be a lot of grime and grit in and around the pinhole looking valve. Put it all back on and it fills up at a good rate but it now doesn't shut off even though the valve is shut off from the rising water you can continue to hear the mains water from somewhere. Also quite worryingly, what I guess is the overflow pipe is higher that the edge of the cistern?

yqHYZDJgBCtw4VwQ6LkL3seYmbhp5E5ha87urKUs7a6E03B1jEJTJeFp3q1vxSK9g_tIPZZwGJ3sE74zZvqSItFDp2dqDez6dCQGZA2qWfdyd1BxMKZfEvOjPtx8sszkzV3_DxuF5XeK29h9rp8H4_6LxYWTq8lwOrPzNifl_k4TBXQWfVqyMpzQmRiMNkgdTx3T-YKkptR4Z8TY1NizcNeIYKIZhrTZzLxDegAPcRQEC1Vq72Vi1LetMRpxC3T4z37cpl9uwt1uUcVk1HIcLbC_Uvij1-zh5rSBNoM-zuS37rLruCZAa7_9pdE1MABgOEUywdRvkHg5Rd1_A1j39BNulXfb_jMR3ejuT5SLLbKF0QgBbB8JQsh9ddrNxd_GPwbfingq_7ow2NXjr8GzqKT2wD62b5jkBSY9rzQjVGpAL7bWbHKDVlNF5rF-mAyjldNAsiaSG_geUJJki2nOa_Y7LyPr7Z5tw8PTcwaKBR8_6Hlw9qcSLMCmvAdurBPn8Rwl8IVvU6NG3R462zUg1kmHBPgyXD_s7Q3t_MA6VclOvbcZSA4Xzhm8naK94GLSuCf0TZFsN-Ccnaw8S12JfZgWroop2PQhXCq5mr41=w1210-h908-no

MHjlfkMaaOMeIj6Q2

Before:

After:

Any help and advice much appreciated as I currently can't turn my mains back on withouth having to flush the toilet every minute or so. Sorry for the not so steady filming but the whole cistern is underneath a worktop.

Thanks,

Mark

The diaphragm isn't quite in the right place?
You sure there isn't an isolating valve in there or just outside the cistern?

The diaphragm isn't quite in the right place?
You sure there isn't an isolating valve in there or just outside the cistern?
Follow the pipe backwards from the cistern. There should be an isolator as stated above.

Yeah, the filming is awful, as it the letterbox format. It doesn't actually look like a Torbeck branded valve to me. If I'm right then my suggestions below may not apply.

3 comments:

1. Seems to be filling quite slowly - would check inlet filter, but probably not the cause of not shutting off.
2. Have you checked the diaphragm itself? If split or holed in the wrong place then it may not allow the backpressure caused by the cessation of drippage through the tiny hole closed off by the float arm to stop the flow - remember that Torbeck valves use the water pressure to shut off the flow!
3. Is the valve mechanism actually working alright and giving enough force to the 1/8" diameter washer that stops the drippage? It is surprising how much force a Torbeck valve float arm seems to generate before the thing will work.

Well, yes, IF the OP can get that valve out easily, replacement is the easiest option. Seems like a waste, but it's only a bit of plastic, after all. They don't really expect people to service them.

Thanks for all the responses. I was unable to locate any isolation valve as the pipework is so hidden behind the units so we are still without water unless somebody stands flushing the toilet. I have however found that it is a Siamp COMPACT 99B inlet valve and it didn't have a diaphragm seal when I took it off, I was very careful to make sure nothing fell out and have looked everywhere to see if it fell down. I assume it should have a diaphragm (membrane) like this:
siamp-compact-99b-bottom-inlet-valve-[2]-1581-p.jpg

I think this item from Screwfix should work: Arctic Products Siamp Diaphragm Washer

Still a little worried about the overflow pipe being 5mm higher than the cistern, not sure I can understand the original logic when installing it.

Are you on a water meter ?

Thanks for all the replies. The diaphragm washer from Screwfix solved it! I Would still be interested if anybody has any opinion on the overflow pipe being higher that the lip of the cistern. Would I be able to hack saw the excess off so water would flow into it before it goes over the edge?

Hold the float down and watch the water rise, does it go down the pipe or can you see water running into the toilet pan?
You can place dry tissue paper just under the rim at the back if this helps show the drip.

It literally flows over the edge of the cistern and floods the floor.i know this from when I removed the grit and gunge from the inlet and the toilet wouldn't stop filling up. I rushed downstairs to turn off the stopcock (in the moment of panic,I forgot I could have just flushed the toilet) now the inlet is fixed, I just want to make sure if it fails again, the overflow will work and not flood the house!

I cut the overflow pipe off about 5mm below the cistern edge and it works as it should now so very relieved it's all sorted. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Torbeck valve and overflowing cistern (with video) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock