Search the forum,

Discuss Tool Kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mo Murphy

Hi all,
As I progress through my course, I'd like to assemble a tool kit for when I can find work with a grown up :cool:
What tools would you suggest for a basic kit to use in the real world that won't have me having to borrow off of other chaps ?
TIA
Mo

Mo, we sell tools at our place and we provide a list of things to studenrs you should have in your toolbox.

More then happy to send you one?

Has anyone else got any suggestions as to what is good to have ?
{tumbleweed rolls past in the wind}

Mo :)

All you really need is:

i) A cup of coffee;
ii) A right hand for scratching your arse; and
iii) A left hand for recieving money.

All jokes aside most domestic plumbing can be done with a basin wrench, adjustable spanner, water pump pliers and a few hundred yards of PTFE tape. Get them!

What lives in my tray:
Bahco 8073 adjustable as well as 9031 and it's little brother 9029.
8" Stilson
Stanley knife
Pipe slice 15mm and 22mm
Rad bleed key
Rad hex key
Screwdrivers
Drill bits
Footprints (big and small)
Fittings, nuts and olives
PTFE
O-rings and rubber and fibre washers of various sizes
15mm guide for benders

In the box :
Basin wrench
Junior hacksaw
Cold chisel
Lump hammer
Claw hammer
Allen keys
Folding rule
Tape measure
Tap box spanner for backnuts. Smaller ones for monobock taps etc
Pump pliers
14" stilson
Small level
2x pushfit ends 15mm
2x pushfit ends 22mm
Boa strap wrench (never use it but as soon as I take it out i'll need it, guaranteed!)
Lead-free solder
Fernox water hawk
Solvent cement
Flux
Wire cleaning brushes 15mm and 22mm
Large screw drivers
Immersion box spanner
22mm guide for benders
Pipe cutters
Bending springs (for two parrallel bends which need differing radii to look tidy)

I think that's it for my tool box. There's other stuff like long level, blowlamp, drills etc but that's all I think think of in terms of hand tools.

Take a look at [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totaltoolbox.co.uk"]TotalToolBox.co.uk[/DLMURL]

This is what we show our students as to what they should have in their toolkits as wet plumbers/tilers/plasterers

The products are still being added, but if nothing else, use it as a guide as to what you should be having in your toolkit. All the items have been tried and tested on site, and they are not just a mass random selection of tools that most web sites put on, leaving you with a headache trying to work out what you will need :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hi there, i am also looking to buy my first plumbers kit. Can you also send me some advice please. Would be much appreciated. Thanks

a claw-hammer for scratching ur rse
and a kettle..

in fact as you see in total toolbox you dont need much at-all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep your tools clean and shiny.

Its nice to know who the new to the game people are when you walk on site. Use a mix of new and used tools you don't stand out so much.

Also make the tools look like they are just out of the box. The "scallies" can get a better price for them then, if they nick them and sell them on.

Don't borrow off your mates. There is nothing worse, than using a hacksaw that will not cut the way you have got accustomed to holding your own. Using tools requires balance and you get accustomed to your own and they wear the way you use them probably.

DO... wrap some pretty tape around the handles.. helps with the "no mate, im sure thats my bahco" situations...

failing that spray them all pink

I'm quite new to plumbing as well and to disguise it I keep trying to drive my van into trees to make it look well used but end up bouncing back off the verges back into the road.

Incidentally, a couple of years ago my builder and I (working together) picked up the wrong hammer (they're the same size, weight, handle etc.) A moment or two later there was a simultaneous, "Is that my hammer?" Didn't surprise him, but I hadn't appreciated how different people use and hold tools differently until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tool Kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock