Search the forum,

Discuss Tool for stubborn tap head gear? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard anything as silly, ignore what Screwfix told you, really you must have gotten through to an absolute idiot. Unless they get bonuses for selling taps - then you got through to a rogue.
Go for the spray, and use the other advice here, will be cheaper than new taps.

Hello Dannypipe. I contacted Screwfix Helpline and was told that if I use this spray to take off the tap insert which has the washer from the kitchen tap, I will not be able to fit the new part as this spray shrinks the part and it will also affect the body of the tap so you will not be able to insert the new part with the washer built in. The best way forward I was advised is to remove the tap and replace it with the new one. What did you use the spray for and is there anyone else on the forum who has used the spray to get some feedback on the spray.
absolute and total rubbish. this spray freezes the part which then makes it shrink very minutely making it easier to remove. when it comes back to room temperature it comes back to it's original size, it doesn't stay shrunk! this idiot on screwfix doesn't know what they are on about or they are deliberately giving you misinformation.

it can be easier to use a 600mm 1/2" breaker bar with a long socket on the head and i use a old bit of leather around the tap spout with another long socket as close to the size of spot as possible on a 600mm extention bar with a for leaverage allways works for me (can you tell i got a load of old sockets of a mechaic mate! LOL)

I've done years of reactive maintenance and i've never had a tap head I couldn't remove.
A ring spanner on the head gear, an adjustable on the tap spout and squeeze them together. Sometimes you have to mount the sink to get some purchase which always raises eyebrows lol.
any ide what size spanner to fit most tap gear

I had use System3's way of doing it as access to the bath taps where bricked in and tiled- but then I had a big problem finding the right valve, in the end had to repair the valve with new bits from other valves. Two people would of been nice- nearly killed me :smilewinkgrin:

absolute and total rubbish. this spray freezes the part which then makes it shrink very minutely making it easier to remove. when it comes back to room temperature it comes back to it's original size, it doesn't stay shrunk! this idiot on screwfix doesn't know what they are on about or they are deliberately giving you misinformation.

I purchased the spray from Screwfix and sprayed it on the nut which is fitted to the tap as I could not take the part off. According to the instructions on the I left it for and a half minutes after spraying could not see any sign of shrinking and was not able to take the part off. When it freezes what sign I should be able to see and when I feel it should it be cold as when I touched the part after one and a half minutes it did not feel the part cold. I would like to hear experiences from other users on ths spray.

after one and a half minutes the part probably came back to room temperature

If I understood Danny's explanation correctly it doesn't work by freezing/shrinking so you can remove. It works by freezing and allowing lubricating gel to seep in through the tiny created gap?

As with many of these things though there's no way to guarantee it'll work in every case.

it can be easier to use a 600mm 1/2" breaker bar with a long socket on the head and i use a old bit of leather around the tap spout with another long socket as close to the size of spot as possible on a 600mm extention bar with a for leaverage allways works for me (can you tell i got a load of old sockets of a mechaic mate! LOL)

exacly what i do i use a 1/2 socket set on the cartrigde and a locking nut box spanner over the spout , i also have some deep sockets for older type taps

I think they've probably sorted it from four years ago mate :smile:

Did have 28mm copper pipe used on some taps.
But had a bigger tap and needed LCS I had tucked away, I thought it was big enough but was only 1" so had to upscale with reducer and a bigger spanner on headgear.
Come off o.k. though, leverage.

All this freeze talk spray makes me laugh, no way is it going to freeze or shrink anything... I have had a can in the van for a couple years I normally use it to try & free a bolt etc but I doubt very much it's freeze / shrink abilities... I'd imagine you'd have to use half a can for that & im far too tight fisted for that! Better off getting the blowlamp on it & doing the opposite ??

Impact socket set and impact driver, 17,18,19,20mm will do most taps and stopcocks.

Holding a backnut box spanner as a brace so the tap doesn't move

I pull the guts out of 50-60 yr old taps with it on a daily basis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tool for stubborn tap head gear? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock