Search the forum,

Discuss tool boxes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get yourself one of these:

26063_1.jpg

It's the Stanley fatmax tool box (standard size) I keep all my main tools in it (grips, screw drivers, pipe slices etc) and have another (large version) to store my other tools in (bolsters, lump hamer, monoblock tap spanners etc).

There brilliant tool boxs, I've had mine for about a year now and it's still going strong even though it had its fair share of abuse. I even use it as a portable step, to get at those things that are always just out of arms reach.

Had a couple of those over the yuears, find the tops break after standing on them for a while, and can never find anything in the botton of them (maybe i carry too much stuff though)

I think i must have bought just about every make of plastic tool box out there. They are all junk, even the ÂŁ100 quid ones don't last much longer than 6 months.
I am seriously thinking of going back to the old tool bag like this Faithfull Carpenters Tool Bag No.3 - 30in - Faithfull Power Plus available at Toolbox
At least when you spread it on the floor you can find anything you want and at ÂŁ6 odds a throw, if it lasts 3 months who cares.

Btw i don't need a fashion contest for a tool box, i just need to carry them.

Trust me veto are worth every penny. It's nothing to do with fashion it's about a tool bag that works whilst looking professional! I've been through that many boxs and bag's that last five minutes stanley toote bags inculed. What a pile of crap! Last me about twelve months then knackered! The pro pack is the first bag that I don't have to empty to find what I'm looking for, everything is easily accessible and I know if anythings missing. For the amount of bags/boxs I'd go through in the five year warrenty offered its well worth the money. I think in the next eighteen months these will really take off, can't recommend them enough.

Trust me veto are worth every penny. It's nothing to do with fashion it's about a tool bag that works whilst looking professional! I've been through that many boxs and bag's that last five minutes stanley toote bags inculed. What a pile of crap! Last me about twelve months then knackered! The pro pack is the first bag that I don't have to empty to find what I'm looking for, everything is easily accessible and I know if anythings missing. For the amount of bags/boxs I'd go through in the five year warrenty offered its well worth the money. I think in the next eighteen months these will really take off, can't recommend them enough.

They do look the dogs b****cks.

I think some are confusing fashion with style :devilish:

The Veto bags with their vertical compartments would be useless for install - fast work where you need to throw the tool in the box then pick it out next time you need it. Where would you put your 2ft level, your springs, your 4lb hammer, your 18" chisel etc.
Fashion and style may make you feel better but it won't make you a better plumber or enable you to work faster or get you paid any more.

Granted the pro pacs arn't for everyone but tool bags are not just a place for storing tools but a tool themself. Tool organisation will make you a faster plumber. fact!

If you want to be fast there is no time in the day to organise your tools - fact - 39yrs experience of chasing the cash :smile:

Everyone to their own thing tho.

If you want to be fast there is no time in the day to organise your tools - fact - 39yrs experience of chasing the cash :smile:

but if you cant find anything your slowed down i like the idea of a simple bag lay it down you can see all your kit

but if you cant find anything your slowed down i like the idea of a simple bag lay it down you can see all your kit

That is the beauty and simplicity of the old bags. When you sat it down your tools were literally spread in front of you on the floor. Colour code your stuff and you will find it instantly and at the end of the job you just lift it up and walk out.
Not all new things are an improvement on the past.

That's the point you don't need to organise them! Their already organised!

not a toolbox but was shaking my dust sheet last week to lay it out and protect the floor when it hit the lamp, which had loads of glass bits hanging from it, they all came down pretty fast.

they all went back up very quickly, shame about the noise it made, lol

That's the point you don't need to organise them! Their already organised!

I appreciate what you are saying but tools and bags don't organise themselves no matter how much or little they cost. You need to be able to throw, not place, the tool in and find it straight away next time you want it.
What i would really like is a smart tool bag that i can hold my hand out behind me and it puts the correct tool in my hand without me asking. AFAIK the only tool that can do that is a switched on 1st year apprentice :smile:

You guys must be really heavy handed and/or have money to burn to be going through a toolbox every few months?

I've had an open tote Fat Max for a couple of years and its fine, I mean what 'abuse' do you give them, use them as a football?

I carry around 60lb of tools. It is the hinges and catches that give way.

I find pliers and snips eventually just wear through the side pockets on Stanley bags and just fall trough! And yeah the handle/sides bend and break! Useless!

i have a tool tote bag that cost over ÂŁ100 but i love my ÂŁ4 bucket to bits!!

You guys must be really heavy handed and/or have money to burn to be going through a toolbox every few months?

I've had an open tote Fat Max for a couple of years and its fine, I mean what 'abuse' do you give them, use them as a football?

All my redundant tool boxes/trays are in the shed. Filled with redundant tools.

I've only broken a few tool boxes. But they get beat up, and worn out...and everyone likes buying new tools. It's the paying for it bit that sucks.

I've always got something on my wish list.

Fatmax Open tote for me. Holds 90% of my tools. Had it for a few months now and it still looks good as new. The shoulder strap is still holding up too. The side pockets have stretched a bit but nothing to cry about. Think it cost 30 quid from homebase.

I appreciate what you are saying but tools and bags don't organise themselves no matter how much or little they cost. You need to be able to throw, not place, the tool in and find it straight away next time you want it.
What i would really like is a smart tool bag that i can hold my hand out behind me and it puts the correct tool in my hand without me asking. AFAIK the only tool that can do that is a switched on 1st year apprentice :smile:

I would have thought after 39 years on the tools you would have had that in the bag (so to speak) by now :wink_smile:

Granted the pro pacs arn't for everyone but tool bags are not just a place for storing tools but a tool themself. Tool organisation will make you a faster plumber. fact!
if you want to be fast you break the tools down so you only carry exactly what you need for that job nothing slows you down like a choice of tools an example would be if fitting caps to test you need spanner grips cutters and caps in a bucket

Last edited:
got a engineers case for repairs then a ck (sparks) bag for installs jobs a good un

If i carry much more junk in mine i'll need one of these :smile:
[DLMURL]http://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/ekmps/shops/targetseo/images/le-6mm-10mm-20mm-40mm-bulk-bag-855kg--%5B2%5D-16-p.jpg[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
If i carry much more junk in mine i'll need one of these :smile:
[DLMURL]http://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/ekmps/shops/targetseo/images/le-6mm-10mm-20mm-40mm-bulk-bag-855kg--%5B2%5D-16-p.jpg[/DLMURL]

And an apprentice with the muscles of Geoff Capes to carry it!

Last edited by a moderator:
For my hand tools I use Stanley FatMax open top carryall and engineers carryall.

Something I do use a lot also, and my old man won't use anything else is a good old drill box. Something like a hilti hammer drill box. Cut all the plastic*drill*retainers out and you're away. Plenty room to get all your tools in and being the shape it is, its much easier to find bits without having to dig everything else out, and cheap. Free in some cases and a lot easier to avoid knocking things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tool boxes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock