Search the forum,

Discuss Tool advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I'm new to the forum and to the plumbing world but I start my course in September and in the meantime I though it would be a good idea to start accumulating the tools of the trade for the future as I'm sure they won't be cheap, so really I just want to know where do you recommend I do my collecting and what are the good brands to look for, when I was a mechanic it was all about snap-on so which brand is the one for plumbing.

Thanks guys

what ever fits/does the job tbh

Hi mate, I buy many snap on tools from battery drills to socket sets lol. Best to start off with the usuals shifters ( bahco ) , footprints, screwdrivers , pipe slices for all sizes , hacksaw big n small, Stanley knife etc etc, pipe benders ( hilmor ) ,, my main and most loved tool is my makita radio, it's the first tool into a job and the last tool out, lol

Hi mate, I buy many snap on tools from battery drills to socket sets lol. Best to start off with the usuals shifters ( bahco ) , footprints, screwdrivers , pipe slices for all sizes , hacksaw big n small, Stanley knife etc etc, pipe benders ( hilmor ) ,, my main and most loved tool is my makita radio, it's the first tool into a job and the last tool out, lol

dont forget the massive hammer when things dont move/ go right :D

You tried using the search box mate, this has come up a few times in the past.

Thanks for the replies youve been very helpful, sorry to waste anyone's time if this had already been posted I'm just enthusiastic and want to get all the knowledge I can from my own personal questions

Thanks for the replies youve been very helpful, sorry to waste anyone's time if this had already been posted I'm just enthusiastic and want to get all the knowledge I can from my own personal questions

Your not wasting our time mate, RPM just means theirs loads out there to read alongside asking today!

Oh and welcome to the forum:D

Ohh shinny new tools!!

If you're a former grease monkey keep hold of your sockets and spanners especially ratchet head and 14mm and 16mm my 14 always goes walkies! Your break line tools can also be used for 10mm copper so you should already have a few bits.

General rule is if you're working with someone and you borrow a certain tool twice, you'll need it so buy one.

Hand tools popular brands are bahco, knipex or Chanel locks, footprints, kopex, rothernberger (although personally I'm not a fan) hillmor, Irwin, Stanley, wera, wira, irizola, ck,

All the above are fairly reputable and trusted although screwdrivers really seem to be poor quality at the minute across all brands.

Power tools, makita, dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch are all pretty skookum

forgot estwing definitely add an estwing to the collection

Last edited:
Any tools you are going to be using all the time and giving them abuse, - buy quality, look after them and don't lose them. Bahco adjustable spanners are an example. On that subject, the Swedish made Bahco is better. Wide jaw Bahco will do most sizes of nuts.
Other tools you might be better just buying cheaper types.
Consider a Multitool for cutting very awkward timbers, backs of kitchen units, skirting boards etc. A Lidl corded Multitool is only about ÂŁ35. Fein is probably the best, but is a ÂŁ200 professional tool.

Last edited:
Thanks guys you have all been so helpful and welcoming, I'm thinking I 2 ill make a list of tools I will need and start ticking them off each week. Is there any specific shop that is good for our trades tools or should I just hunt around which I will do any way :biggrin: thanks again

When the colleges start their new terms the local merchants usually put kits together, worth a look.

Car boot sales, sometimes the older stuff is the best as in the Bahco adjustables and the odd pipe bender pops up as well.

Well no luck today but I have been having a look on ebay and looks like there may be some deals on some bahco adjustable, most are without the rubberised handle but I doubt that matters ill have to see what the college offers. Thanks

Well no luck today but I have been having a look on ebay and looks like there may be some deals on some bahco adjustable, most are without the rubberised handle but I doubt that matters ill have to see what the college offers. Thanks

The older originals didn`t have the rubber cover and will outlast the newer type so don`t let that put you off. They are easier to clean as well.

I would just get a couple of 9031's...I've got the older made in Sweden widejaws and the newer Spanish made ones I believe and to my eyes there no difference. Jaws still have the same play in both of them.

One good thing about Bahco adjustables is you can buy new rollers,screws and jaws if they get lost or damaged and don't need to buy the whole spanner. I'm a Bahco fan, and screwdrivers I get Teng Tools.

If your working with someone, using there tools as you start off then buy what you, use most

But basic tools you'll need is

Tool bag/box
Screwdrivers
Stanley knife
Good tape measure
Pencil/sharpie/pencil sharper
Hammer (don't buy cheap, most people I've worked with have owned there hammers for 20+ years)
Adjustable spanner
Pipe slices
Plastic pipe cutters
Pipe débuted
Pump pliers
Hacksaw junior+normal
Boat level

If your working with someone, using there tools as you start off then buy what you, use most

But basic tools you'll need is

Tool bag/box
Screwdrivers
Stanley knife
Good tape measure
Pencil/sharpie/pencil sharper
Hammer (don't buy cheap, most people I've worked with have owned there hammers for 20+ years)
Adjustable spanner
Pipe slices
Plastic pipe cutters
Pipe débuted
Pump pliers
Hacksaw junior+normal
Boat level

Pipe débuted never heard of one of them ? :D

Deburrer I think, that's some sound advice, I do hope someone will take me on after my course but I say if you want something bad enough you go get it:biggrin:

This Wet and dry Vac......I use it all the time and it's brilliant!

[DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-With-Blower/p/215735"]Wickes Wet & Dry Vacuum With Blower | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to car boot sales and see a 30+ year old shifter that still works - buy it.

I bought a 24" bahco shifter 15 years ago, and still have it.
I don't know what it did before I got it, but if it had a harder life than I have given it - it has stood the test of time

The bloody thing is probably older than me - but I'm going to take it to the grave with me.

one of the best tools i got when i started off last year was a split ring compression fitting spanner (recommended on this forum actually)

you wont get a leak on 15/22 mm compression fittings when using that bad boy. touch wood :dizzy2:

hmmmmm doubtfull if it is the spanner that causes leaks!! more like its the spanner that's using it!! haha

I'm currently doing my level three, but I've got a 4" bahco adjustable, a 6" todays tools wide jaw from tool station and a fat max neon flat head. These are the tools that are always in my elephant ears and i think extremely good value. Apart from that I'd recommend a decent pair of knee pads and bahcos small socket set

hi,
as a newbie in plumbing you can purchase used tools for cheap rate. And whenever you get experience and proper skills, you can upgrade your tools. According to me, i had purchased used tools from plumbing professionals near my town. I think sites like https://www.nriparts.com sells used tools for cheap rates. If you can afford the cost, then you can purchase new tools.

(uk) :d

an 18v impact driver will see alot of use, other than that good pipeslices( personally i like monument ones), estwing hammer, regin drain down hose, bahco 12' stilsons, flux brushes, pencils and sharpies, 25mm woodbits.

an 18v impact driver will see alot of use, other than that good pipeslices( personally i like monument ones), estwing hammer, regin drain down hose, bahco 12' stilsons, flux brushes, pencils and sharpies, 25mm woodbits.
what do you use your impact driver for mostly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tool advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All Looking to purchase a press fit tool and considering many brands. I don’t do a lot of pipe work, so don’t need a heavy duty one. Hot works are becoming a thing of the past. Any recommendations?
Replies
Views
    • Love
Hi folks, old and new. I'm back on the tools, back on the forums. I'm working for myself since the start of this year and just know I will be needing your help and advice sooner or later, probably sooner. This place is too good of a resource to miss out on, especially flying solo, so here I am...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm saying hello so I can keep my account live. I'm more of a reader than a poster. As a beginner/ complete novice, I just need to find general answers to questions I may have. Generally I only replace existing plumbing and use plumbing skills to plumb my being equipment together.
Replies
Views
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice. I`ve been trying to get on an apprenticeship but I`ve had no joy so far, so I`m hoping to gain some experience by working alongside an experienced...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock