Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Lability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Toilet Seat Removal in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. saki

saki New Member

catalano_small.jpg fixing1.jpg
    Hi All

I have moved house and want to replace a toilet seat in the main bathroom with a new soft close seat. I have found a suitable replacement but cannot see a way of removing the existing seat and cover. After searching internet I have identified the toilet as a BTW Catalano zero54 but manufacturer and several suppliers cannot tell me how to remove the old seat and cover. It is a top only fixing and I have attached image of it in situ and an image of the kit (I think) from web. Can anyone explain how to remove it? TIA

2. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

If you push the seat/top cover sideways, does it move and push the metal pin with the o-ring out the end of the pan fixing? If it does I reckon you can then grab the end of that pin with some grips or pliers and pull it out.

That pin is friction fitted into the pan fixing by the o-ring.

Alternatively the hinge pin may run right through the hinge from one end to the other. Maybe you can push on the end of it with a screwdriver and drive the pin out the opposite side?
    *Edit - This won't work!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  3. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

I've found this courtesy of "marcb" on another forum and it does come apart the way I described in my last post on the subject.

"Of course, to be able to turn the vertical silver peg you first need to disengage the horizontal silver peg, at the same time detaching the toilet seat and lid. How you get each horizontal peg out is not at all obvious. It is not a capped grub screw (as suggested in the video), but just a silver cylinder which is held in place by a rubber ring sunk into its body about half way along. Unfortunately the ends of the horizontal pegs when installed are pretty well flush with the face of the vertical pegs, but with a bit of sideways manipulation you can get a couple of millimetres poking out. That should be just enough to prise out the rest of the horizontal peg, first with a small screwdriver then using finger and thumb. Once the horizontal pegs are out and the seat and lid are set to one side, just lift each vertical peg in turn, tightening them clockwise as shown in the video. Putting the small screwdriver through the horizontal hole gives enough leverage for good tightening (but don't overdo it and crack the unit). Make sure the horizontal holes are lined up, then replace the seat and lid by pushing the horizontal pegs back through the holes into the seat and lid."

4. saki

saki New Member

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately pushing the seat left or right does not move the head of the pin. It is hard up against the pillar. I have tried pliers but they cannot get a hold on the head. Also tried to get a screw driver blade behind the pin but it does not budge. I suspect from your reply that it is not going to be possible to remove the pin. I am thinking that I will have to cut through the pin with a plunge cutter. If I do that I am hoping I can then unscrew the pillar and the butterfly will drop off. Can you confirm if that is correct? Rank amateur at this and have relied on You Tube videos out there.

5. saki

saki New Member

Sorry Stigster. Just seen your second post. I will try what you suggest and report back

6. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

A plunge cutter would definitely work. I'd try a bit of lubricant in the end of the pin to see if you can loosen up the o-ring so it slides out easier. A bit of soapy water might even do it.

Once you do get the hinge pin out then yes, the fixing in the pan will unscrew anti-clockwise and the nut will drop off. You'll need to pull up on the pan fixing so the nut underneath grabs and you can unscrew it.

Good luck!

7. saki

saki New Member

Brilliant Stigster. Got a thin blade putty knife behind the pin and managed to move it out by a couple of mm as you suggested. Pliers did the rest. Very many thanks for your advice. Off to get a new one!

8. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

Happy to help.