Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet not clearing, flushing ok, can't find blockage. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Last job today, the girl says the toilet isn't clearing properly. I flushed it with nothing in the pan to see if it backed up, the water seemed to swirl around the pan unusually but went away, a bit slow going down but couldn't say it backed up. I put some tissue down flushed it, didn't clear. Taken toilet out, checked waste all clear. Got wet vac down the waste pipe towards the stack getting nothing.

Put toilet back, flushed and still the same problem.

Lifted man hole in the garden, got the tenant to flush the loo, water comes through.

She said she normally has to throw a couple of buckets down to clear it. So I put a load of tissue down, got her to flush it and throw a bucket of water down I saw the tissue come in to man hole.

Im stumped, any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
could be the design of the bog if cheap, some arnt very good at flushing

It is a cheapo. The girl said it's been bad for a week but got worse the last 2 days.

Wouldn't clear 1 square of toilet paper today.

It was dark when I finished, external cast iron stack. Did not look for aav, will check that when I go back.

It was dark when I finished, external cast iron stack. Did not look for aav, will check that when I go back.

if its cast shouldnt have a dir unless its been modified should vent to outside tho

vents to outside, I'm just wondering if the toilet is scaled up somewhere and restricting the flow some how.

Never had this before and it not be a blockage.

It may be the amount of water the cistern is releasing during the flush.

There may be some adjustments required on the flush valve to get the correct amount of water through the cistern before the valve closes

Take it you checked the U bend and the spigot for a rim fresh causing a restriction.

My loo at home gets this way, it's the holes under the rim getting blocked, the ones at the back go first which means that water only flushes from the front and makes tissues swirl around instead of go down.
Have cleared them with the bog brush and bleach, they're fine for a few months then block up again, I think the source of the blockage (bacteria/whatever) is in the channel behind the holes so impossible to physically get at.
Have been considering a few doses of Milton in the cistern to try and stop it but that means redoing the silicone afterwards as it's a vanity and I can't be razzed ;)

Had one like that today, pneumatic push button, wasn't clearing the paper, you just had to push the button harder/quicker to make the flush valve lift higher, sometimes the flush valve doesn't lift enough, try taking it out with the Cistern full and see if that flushes better.

Replaced the toilet.

U bend clear, took cistern off to check nothing small restricting the flow of water. All clear.

I think the toilet was just getting scaled up and causing a restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet not clearing, flushing ok, can't find blockage. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock