Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Toilet leaking help in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

On that toilet it was always a plastic ball valve I believe. Brass valves were long gone in the 80s on Armitage and other brands of toilets. Things got cheaper made after the 70s.
    Think that ballvalve has been replaced though, as likely not original. I think Armitage used an all white valve with plastic fill bag in that era.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

As the toilet wasn't flushing before your father increased the water level its most likely the siphon that needs repairing/replacing. You are going to need a plumber. Sorry its not something you are going to be able to fix yourself.

3. LisaM1983

LisaM1983 New Member

Hi just to let you know it's all sorted. Got a plumber out and he replaced the part in second photo which stopped the leaking. He left and my mother checked it out and then the toilet wouldn't flush properly again so he's had to replace the part in first photo. Cost £80 in total but at least finally fixed.

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Very good price that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LisaM1983

LisaM1983 New Member

Glad it's finally sorted! The plumber said we were meant to get 9 litres of water when we flushed but we're only getting 6 and the date on the parts were 1984 Haha o_O

6. LisaM1983

LisaM1983 New Member

Hi I'm sorry to bother you but I have a new problem. Since the toilet has been fixed whenever I turn off any tap in the house there is a really loud banging noise. It also happens when I use the washing machine and shower. Sounds like a machine gun going off. I'm by no means blaming the plumber but this wasn't happening before. Do you have any idea what it could be?

7. Harvest Fields

You could need a whole new one of these instead of just the innards or it could also be a. BAll valve in the loft if you have them. But if it has only just started then I would say that it is the toilet Inlet valve.

IMG_9797.PNG

8. LisaM1983

LisaM1983 New Member

I rang him back and he said it's a water hammer and to do a quarter turn of the stop cock :rolleyes:

9. Harvest Fields

That may work. If you are willing to try it. But I would go back. But I am built that way. Unfortunately some engineers are not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LisaM1983

LisaM1983 New Member

I don't want to pay another call out charge :(

11. Harvest Fields

That depends on the engineer. Cannot say more then that really.

12. LisaM1983

LisaM1983 New Member

You need to move to the North East haha :mad:

• Like Like x 1