Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet Fill Valve Hissing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_6435.JPG IMG_6458.JPG
Hi all,
I need some advice please. I heard a hissing sound as my toilet was refilling and it was taking much longer than usual. When I took the top off I could see that small 'jets' of water were squirting out of the fill valve.
The jets are coming out of the bit that attaches to the valve (I've circled in red on the pic).
The toilet was fitted when we moved in and the fittings are behind a tiled wall.
My questions are what would I need to fix this and can I do it without having to take the tiles off behind the toilet.
NB the toilet has no fixings that I can access from underneath.
I've attached a couple of pics to help explain
Many thanks in advance
Chris

Turn the water off and then unscrew the first plastic nut behind the red circles. You need one of these - Arctic Products Siamp Diaphragm Washer

Double check the diaphragm before you buy the part but the inlet looks identical to mine.

Nice easy fix. Ive replaced my own a couple of times over the years. The rubber diaphragm splits allowing a tiny jet of water to pass through causing the "hissing" you described and the slow refill. You will see the split when you remove it.

Just make sure you take a few pics so you can reassemble correctly. Make sure the tab on the diaphragm is aligned before you screw the nut back on and that the white plastic fork end is located properly on the grey rod.

It will all make sense once you start doing it.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy, I'm passing screwfix later so I'll pick one up and let you know how it goes.
Much appreciated and the video helps too.
Chris

Hello again,
I just wanted to say a big thank you. Your advice was perfect. I bought the part this afternoon and followed your instruction to fit it this evening. I was quite pleased with myself when it worked as I'm a total amateur and would probably have ended up spending £50+ on a call out + part! ... all in all I owe you a big thank you and a virtual beer (as I doubt you drink in my local :)
Thanks again
Chris

Well done Chris, its always satisfying when you do a job for the first time and it all goes well.

I replaced two in four years in the last house so at least you will have have the confidence now to tackle it next time it splits.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet Fill Valve Hissing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock