Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet feed pipe leaking at valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

loftybloke

Hi All

I'm hoping for some advice please. I noticed a drip from the top of the valve in the pipe which fills the cistern of our toilet.

18739634_10212992974329162_9014247867735732015_n.jpg

I tried to tighten it with a pair of adjustable wrenches but it doesn't seem to matter which way I turn which nut, it still leaks when i open the valve again. I (of course) seem to have made the leak faster by trying to fix it.

Can anyone help please?

TBH when they start leaking best to replace the fill valve (fluid master 45b pro) and a new fibre washer

Snowhead, yes the water comes up from the bit with the screw to open/close the valve below the nut. The nylon bit isn't wet.

Shaun is that easy for a complete novice to do?

Thanks

Are you sure it's the valve and that it's not leaking down the nylon thread from the cistern?

If it is the valve, there's a fibre washer betwen the valve and nylon fill valve.
Isolate and replace it.

same as;
Fibre washers 1/2 to fit 15mm tap connector per 10

Be carefull screwing the nut back onto the valve, it's easy to cross thread it.
Thanks. Forgive me for being ignorant, but the water is coming from below the top nut of the valve rather than where it meets the nylon thread. Would your solution stop this too?

Snowhead, yes the water comes up from the bit with the screw to open/close the valve below the nut. The nylon bit isn't wet
Thanks
If you mean that smaller sized pipe just under the top nut then it is time to start again with a complete new valve. At this moment in time you don't need a new fill valve.

No that one is different at one end, trying to find a link for you, back in a moment.

Much appreciated, thanks. There is a B & Q near to us thats still open if that helps
Bank holiday Monday, think they shut at 4pm. You will have to turn the water off upstream to change it though. :(

Enter compression service valve on B&Q site. Part number 05271948
Nut and olive one end with nut and fibre washer the other end

I definitely would go with a brass threaded fill valve as the plastic ones cause a lot of trouble in the future.

I definitely would go with a brass threaded fill valve as the plastic ones cause a lot of trouble in the future.
Those valves are troublesome, change the toilet service valve first then easy to change the fill valve if required.

If it ain`t broke don`t fix it! Some people are living on the breadline now.
That's true, but if you got a couple of pounds left then I'd change both parts.
I clearly understand your point @rpm and agree it's the breadline

If I'm honest guys I don't know which bits you're talking about :)
I'm going to have to ring someone as I'm not massively confident replacing the leaky bit if i'm honest, I don't want to do anymore damage than I've already done in making the leak worse!

Best option tbh

I'm going to have to ring someone as I'm not massively confident replacing the leaky bit if i'm honest, I don't want to do anymore damage than I've already done in making the leak worse!

That's fair enough, if you do not feel confident then get an engineer out to solve this problem.

However, you will need to isolate the water first before changing the isolation valve. To test if you isolated the water you could flush the toilet and you will see if the toilet still fills with water or not.

Afterwards you could change either just the isolation valve or both fill valve and isolation valve with a fibre washer.

That`s fair enough, could easily go wrong. Don`t try and tell the person how to do the job mind as we tend to get a little huffy about that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet feed pipe leaking at valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock