Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet Cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leoki

I have just fitted a new close coupled w.c. I followed the instructions when it came to fitting the cistern to the bowl, e.g i noted the order in which to place the nuts/washers and bolts to secure the cistern to the pan. Filled the cistern and it started to weep from both the securing nuts. On the underside of the cistern is a wingnut, i tightened these as much as i dare less i broke them or the cistern but still it leaked. I phoned the manufacturer and they said although they do not officially recommend it they suggested i use sealant on the washer on the inside of the cistern.

This seems a bit backward, it seems to me as though they are indirectly saying their fixings are not 100% waterproof and to use sealant.

To get to my question, am i unlucky or is there a common problem if so do you generally seal the washers ? :)

You shouldn't need any sealant - who's the manufacturer? The trick is to get a good seal on the inside. The best washers are those conical ones that really compress nicely.

I always use silicone sealant. I started out not using it but was fed up with drips.

The bolts should go through the cistern. Behind the bold head there should be a stainless washer and a cone rubber washer. The end sticking out of the cistern then should have a cone washer going the other way, a flat stainless washer and a stainless nut.

The wing nuts are only for fastening the cistern to the pan and are not used to make the water seal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Re the cone rubber washers, i presume the cone points into the hole in the cistern, top and bottom respectively.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Re the cone rubber washers, i presume the cone points into the hole in the cistern, top and bottom respectively.
yes thats right, i find with siliccon the washers squeeze out under preasure if you tighten them while stil moist i find good quality plumber mastic better evo seal or plumbers mait dont bother with the swan brand one its crap only thing it sticks to is your hands

Thankyou for to you all for replying to my question, i will proceed with your advice

biggest problem when you encounter a leak as you discribe, is caused by the cistern being pushed out of alignment by the wall it sits against thus breaking the doghnut seal.
i will bet if you remove from wall it will reseal as it sits square to the bowl freestanding.
allways ease into position when installing untill the cistern top just touches the wall then fix. ensuring you do not disturb the bowl knocking it out again.

biggest problem when you encounter a leak as you discribe, is caused by the cistern being pushed out of alignment by the wall it sits against thus breaking the doghnut seal.
i will bet if you remove from wall it will reseal as it sits square to the bowl freestanding.
allways ease into position when installing untill the cistern top just touches the wall then fix. ensuring you do not disturb the bowl knocking it out again.

real advice,and the probable reason you have a leak,you should never need silicone or that crappy stuff plumbers mate or is that plumbers goo

funny but i dont have many problems with the dougnut washers they seem pretty reliable even at a bit of an angle its always the bolts through the bottom for me especially on some cheap suites where the supplied washers seem hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet Cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock