Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Tips for making copper pipes round again? in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. ziggy

ziggy Guest

Hi Folks,

Do any of you have any tips or know of any tools that can make 15mm/22mm pipes round again at the end that will fit into a compression joint?

I am having to "manufacture" a bespoke couple of pieces of 22mm to 15mm pipe with the pipe centres completely offset to the maximumum, and during the process (using a vice and a hacksaw!) the ends are a bit oval and I need to make them as perfectly round as possible.

2. ferret

ferret Guest

take a female compressin fitting of the size you are using , remove nut and olive and knock onto end of pipe gently untill fully on.

3. JJayMan

JJayMan Guest

Try a Re-Rounding tool, or buy a socket former and only use the front part.

Monument make them.

4. carpstu

carpstu Guest

i had to do this the other week was changing a mono block tap which got from screw fx and when i pipe sliced the tails down to suit what i wanted the pipe slice squashed the tails so it was just lucky the old taps were cross head so managed to re shape the end of the copper tails with the cross part of the tap

5. Plumbstar Tom

Plumbstar Tom Well-Known Member

DO you mean this is happening as you bend it?

Can you bend it beofre you cut it

if not pop and insert in the end before you bend it

6. student plumber

student plumber Member

I've used a socket former on plastic pipe for jointing.

But how well does it work for rounding copper pipe, I assume you'd heat the end of the pipe so it's more plyable though you obviously don't do it too much as you don't want to widen it.

But does it work o.k.

7. carpstu

carpstu Guest

hi no i ment cheep copper tails which squashed when i twisted the pipe slice round to cut them

8. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

that's happened to me too

9. John Blade

John Blade Guest

Use an adjustable spanner

1 adjust it to the slimmer part of the diameter of the pipe

2 keep rotating it until its round again.

That simple i hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
  10. dontknowitall

dontknowitall Guest

Using a hacksaw nearly always leaves a burr which makes fittings tricky to fit but I find that usually a file and pump pliers is enough.

11. SimonJohns

SimonJohns Trusted GSR

Use a swayger(can't spell it).

12. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

put a new cutting wheel in.

13. shneld

shneld Guest

I had the same problem last night.

Tried a hacksaw to cut the tails but they deformed still.

I used a pair of pump pliers and the female part of compression fitting and that worked well.

14. stevetheplumber

stevetheplumber Plumber GSR

handle of non thumb turn footprints doubles as a reamer re rounder
    those tails that fold up are rubbish the strength is in the swaged over end once thats gone throw them away and buy flexis

15. johnnyplumb

johnnyplumb Plumber GSR

this has happened to me as well, once bitten twice shy. if i'm gonna use a pipeslice on monobloc copper tails now, if possible i always cut at end of tail with slice to test first.