Search the forum,

Discuss tightness testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rengas

Hi everyone,

I waswondering if anyone knew whether it is true you dont need to do a tightness test when you are doing a service or maintenance?

I hear you are not required to do one. Because during my training in college it was drummed into me i always do one whether service or maintenence.

Does British gas require you to doone on assessment??????????

Your contributions appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I waswondering if anyone knew whether it is true you dont need to do a tightness test when you are doing a service or maintenance?

if you break the gas train, how else will you know whether or not the system is safe b4 you leave the property?

I hear you are not required to do one. Because during my training in college it was drummed into me i always do one whether service or maintenence.

If you dont know the answer yet, youll be great at BG:rolleyes:

Thanks.

All the best, have a look through viper to remind yourself of the answers you need

Last edited by a moderator:
if you go in to give an anuall service to the boiler and do a drop test at the meter which shows a 3mb drop over 2 minuites, do you ....
a, check the gas fire
b, check the gas cooker

c, find them both to be passing so cap both,
d, continue to service boiler, charge your ÂŁ50 or so then inform your customer that the boiler is fine but not the other two appliances so i have capped them as i did not quote for repairs that may cost ÂŁ200 extra.
call me next week to book you in?.
or repair free of charge with the boiler.

good question,.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

we have covered this in much debated previous posts,no not if you don't break gas lines but its a matter of conscience,would you could you say its safe with out doing a soundness/tightness? no of course you cant that is what makes us what we are..... processionals

easy really,
turn of appliances take reading and wait 3 hours take another reading then calculate
after dinner.lol.

The French way of doing a bulk tank LPG supply test, is to disconnect the service pipe from the bulk tank regulator, connect a propane cylinder with a pressure gauge on the connector, to the service pipe turn on the cylinder wait for the gauge to settle turn off the cylinder, note the pressure reading normally 3 bar, walk away come back half an hour later to see if the gauge has dropped, if not its sound

For a natural gas supply, they use a battery powered dial manometer with a tell tale, this is connected to the customers side of the meter tail, before the meter is connected, then they power up the compressor in the unit to the pressure they want, set the tell tale, turn off the compressor and wait for a quarter of an hour, if the recording needle, and the tell tale are the same after a quarter of an hour, the systems passed if there is a drop its failed

Thanks very much everyone. The reason i posted this question was i was told by an ex BG there was no need for tightness test bacause i only had to isolate the gas at the isolation valve at the inlet of the appliance. But i think you will have to do a standing and working at the meter which involves interupting the gas supply. So i will have to do a tightness test. I AM CONFUSED. I GUESS I HAVE TO DO ONE THEN!!!
BIG THANKS EVERYONE

As gasman says we have debated this subject before, but can anyone tell me where it states you don't have to do a tightness test when carrying out a service?
This subject shouldn't really be up for debate, how long does a tightness test take? Exactly a matter of minutes. So in my opinion a tightness test MUST be carried out, and if anyone can show me any rule where it states you dont have to do one i will gladly ignore it and carry on testing for GAS LEAKS.

I always do one, I have made it a reg in my own mind. Am I right? I dont even know myself but Id rather have belt and braces, maybe its just coz im fat?

but can anyone tell me where it states you don't have to do a tightness test when carrying out a service?

IGE-UP-1B ED2 Page 4 2.4
"These Procedures may not need to be applied when carrying out routine maintenance, such as servicing."

In my book the tightness test is essential before and after any work where you have disrupted the gas supply.
One of the problems which makes this simple safety test and other pressure tests difficult is getting the manometer or test meter rubber tube onto the test point . At a recent job the test nipple on the meter was so large it kept splitting my pipe, then at another job where I wanted the burner pressure of a gas hob my tube just wouldn't stay on the burner jet.
I wish there was a nice little gadget to solve these problems.

I always do one, I have made it a reg in my own mind. Am I right? I dont even know myself but Id rather have belt and braces, maybe its just coz im fat?

yea i always do 1 too. mainly all my services come with the landlord cert so have to. But if just a service you dont have to do a tightness test. just have to test with leak detector from appliance isolation downstream. that being said i couldn't walk away without do a tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tightness testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock