Search the forum,

Discuss Tightening the connectors on a vented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

2 things if that's ok?

Firstly what do most people use to tighten the connectors on a vented cylinder? the insulation is so thick the connector is in a tunnel of approx 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep so impossible to get a spanner in there without removing loads of insulation? I may have to drain the cylinder again as I have a weeping connector, I thought about using a socket on the connector but obviously now there is a pipe connected I can't.

Secondly the joint was leaking to a point that it soaked a hand towel I left underneath it overnight for me to continue this morning but it looks like the leak has stopped? I used Thernox Jointing compound could this have warmed and sealed overnight or am I being too hopeful!

A normal spanner but angled towards me so only half the jaws are contacting

And no needs removing and inspecting / tighting more

Thanks for the reply, I have tried a selection of 5 spanners that will fit and none of them can reach that far into the void, I have much more blue insulation on this cylinder compared to my old one, I guess I will drain down clean and refit with a deep socket if still no luck then I will have to chip away at the insulation!

Cut some of the insulation tapering outwards from the fitting.
If it is compression joint and with standard threads, use a compression connector or elbow fitting to compress the olive. Make certain fitting same distance onto pipe as cylinder fitting!
Then just paste the olive and tighten onto cylinder using an open spanner.
You could remove a round piece of insulation from around the fitting and then push it back in later, if you really have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tightening the connectors on a vented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock