Discuss Tiger loop Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFGplumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Right ok so I went to go see a customer today, their oil boiler (worcester heatslave) keeps locking out.

Problem > no fuel

Now their oil tank is situated lower than their boiler.

They have a tiger loop that is roughly at the height of the top of the tank perhaps a bit higher

The oil Level in the tank was very low, Say around about 1/8 full mabey less

Would a tiger loop be able to prime its self with this lack of head? is my question. The tank and the tiger loop are roughtly 10 foot away from eachother.

Thank you

If the problem has only just happened it could either be the check valve in the tigerloop has gone or you have got a leak in one of the joints allowing the fuel to run back towards the tank. The tiger loop may be able to prime itself if the pump keeps going long enough, matbe 2 or 3 attempts. I presume the pump is ok and plenty of pressure, you have to check that it may be the pump is faulty.

Its just happened aparently, the customer had installed a new oil pump (DIY) said it had been working for a couple of days fine and now its suddenly stopped working, So i ruled out the oil pump for now.

So does the cust have his own pressure gauge and analyser? Or did he just drop the pump in and let it go?

SimonG i do belive that to be that case, i have no idea wether he has an analyer or pressure guage, doubtfull.

I think we still need to make certain the fuel pump is ok. Why did he renew the fuel pump, the drive dog have been worn.

The tank had run too low on oil As I had advised them, they had a top up today and its working fine now

The tank had run too low on oil As I had advised them, they had a top up today and its working fine now

Should have still worked, providing oil even just above the outlet connection. Maybe Tigerloop is faulty - have seen this before.

A tiger loop is merely a de-aerator though as far as I was concerned, as you can have a two pipe system without one

A tiger loop is merely a de-aerator though as far as I was concerned, as you can have a two pipe system without one
If they are faulty, pump will not lift oil, if tank is lower. Sounds very likely. Don't forget also, that Tigerloops are recommended to be replaced at 10 years. I have seen a few that suddenly fail, when the oil level in a tank that has been fitted on a base just below burner level, is lowish.

If they are faulty, pump will not lift oil, if tank is lower. Sounds very likely. Don't forget also, that Tigerloops are recommended to be replaced at 10 years. I have seen a few that suddenly fail, when the oil level in a tank that has been fitted on a base just below burner level, is lowish.

Apparently so, but on the rare time they fail, I just renew them. If there are no oil leaks on hoses or pipes & oil pump is assumed ok, It's the t.loop.
You will find the boiler will stop when oil reaches same level again, if it is the t.loop. They are not too expensive, so I usually carry one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tiger loop Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back