Search the forum,

Discuss Tiger Loop overflow problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a tiger loop installed on my Becket burner oil fuel line. It is Afriso older design with the bleeder value on the top which blows out the air. The problem is that the more the burner runs the higher the oil level in the tiger loop goes. Eventually the oil gets too high and starts to flow out the top nipple. Then I cut the oil supply and thus the level in the tiger loop drop back to the middle of the glass. Process than starts over again.. Oil tank is half full. Takes about a week for tiger loop to fill back up again. The more the burner runs the quicker the tiger loop fills up.
Anybody have any ideas what I can do or what the problem maybe.
Thanks

@Best, @SimonG, @Lame plumber are three oil guys that spring to mind that might know the answer.

Edit, don`t know why Lame isn`t highlighted.

@Best, @SimonG, @Lame plumber are three oil guys that spring to mind that might know the answer.

Edit, don`t know why Lame isn`t highlighted.

He's not a member anymore

Strange one! I wonder is the oil tank located at a much higher level than the burner?
I know what I would checking first, but don't want to put it on open forum, for obvious reasons. Oil boilers can be dangerous.
Could be a faulty Tigerloop and note that Tigerloops are recommended by manufacturer to be replaced at 12 years old, if I remember correctly.
But you need an oil service person to do the work, as ordinary internal Tigerloop not now permissible plus the boiler and burner need set up.
SimonG is one of the few oil guys left on here and will no doubt have experience of this all.

Last edited:
He's not a member anymore

I knew Lame was another who wasn't coming on the forum, but I hadn't realised he was no longer a member here!
With Lame now gone, there is probably no one here with his, or any knowledge of Agas and other ranges, vaporising or pressure jet, to give help.

I knew Lame was another who wasn't coming on the forum, but I hadn't realised he was no longer a member here!
With Lame now gone, there is probably no one here with his, or any knowledge of Agas and other ranges, vaporising or pressure jet, to give help.
Agree, yes he was a top man in his field.

I find in 9 out of 10 installs with a tiger loop don't need them. An instant sign of somebody not knowing what they are doing.

Does the burner require the grub screw when connecting the return oil hose to the tigerloop as Reillo do? Also it might be worth finding out the pump pressure.

I agree the guy put the deaerator in because when he put the replacement pump in last year there was a blank hole he had to plug. So a year later he realized that he put the plug in not threaded correctly which was bringing vacuum into the system. In between he add the deaerator cause he thinks this will help not knowing what he did with the pump. He fixed the plug but now the AFRISCO 3/k-1 which does not have the double chamber fills to the top and may over flow out the nipple. The nipple releases the air. Maybe I got a bad deaerator. This was older model but only two years old. Any thoughts. Yes I realize he put the deaerator in because of his screw up and likely I did not need it. But at this point it is installed and I just cut the oil supply off to bring oil level back down to half full on the deaerator. Do I have a bad dearator? Any ideas.

I agree, looks like you don't have a bad Tigerloop, but you probably have a faulty engineer. Try replacing the engineer with a new one and hopefully that will sort it. :)

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a tiger loop question. Am having a new tank fitted next week. When the guys came to survey the situation I asked about putting in a new tiger loop as the current one looks naff to say the least. The filter holder is rusty and the glass dome looks coloured. They said do not bother just replace the filter and if I felt it needed it paint the filter holder. Cannot do either until after they have been as current tank has no isolation tap on it between tank and tiger loop.

@Dave J I would probably go with the Tigerloop at fault, I replaced a boiler which was working fine in that aspect (water jacket failed), but when I replaced the boiler the Tigerloop pi**ed out oil everywhere. Replaced and all was fine. however, by the sounds of it, you don't actually need one anyway.
@Bogart for the sake of ÂŁ40 I would replace the Tigerloop, if the filter bowl underneath is manky I would replace, if it is the bracket holding it too the wall then I wouldn't bother. But make sure the filter is clean inside whilst the oil is off.

Tigerloops cost more than ÂŁ40 if you are installing them inside a building as you need internal Bio Tigerloop. It has the metal top with threads for vent to take a pipe to outside

My bad, I didn't read the bit that said inside lol, can get the internal one, but depending on what this basement is like and if you can get a pipe out you may have to go with a GOK one which are pretty good.
I wonder what he did in the end?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tiger Loop overflow problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Hi, Newbie here so feel free to teach me the etiquette of this place, and apologies for the lengthy opening post. The boiler started locking out on Friday after a long period of faultless running, there was a bit of gunk on the back of the (newish) nozzle (Danfoss Nozzle 0.65 x 80 EH) ...
Replies
Views
Client ran out of oil. Locked out. Has Grant eco ext. wall boiler 1.3 mtrs off ground. Tiger loop on wall same height as burner. Tank 4mtrs away on ground. 10mm copper suction line. I went round. It never restarted via reset button so bled a bit from pump and Ok. Pump was a bit winey and...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, It may be coincidence but not long after getting oil fired central heating fitted to older ex-council property (fireplace and necessary plumbing torn out/replaced as required) every time toilet is flushed it sounds like a foghorn. Vibrations run through house and can be heard clearly...
Replies
Views
SaintSinner
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock