Search the forum,

Discuss Three way valve in Morco Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am just wondering do you need to be Gas safe to change a three way valve? This is relating more specifically to the valves in Morco Boilers. You don't touch the gas at all but, you do have to take the front of the boiler off and drain it down. Cheers

According to the rules , you must be GS to remove a boiler case

Yep

If the gas side isn't sealed in its own compartment then no but the thing is you can't check as you don't know if it is or isn't

The OP can look at the servicing manual first though. IF s/he's competent, this will show if the casing is merely decorative/electrical or if performs some other function?

That said, I used to have a Morco gas water heater in my caravan. It wasn't sealed at all, more like an open-flued appliance with the combustion air coming from the room and you could see the burners if you looked up from the underside of the casing, so if the OP's Morco is anything like mine was, the simple answer to the original question is yes you do, as you'd be disturbing the combustion chamber.

OP - is this a DIY job, or a customer?

https://www.User PlumbersForums.net...legally-work-on-a-gas-appliance-factsheet.pdf

Last edited:
What problem have you got ? what model ? has they don't have a 3 way valve, if it is leaking you can-not get the valve anymore, only a service kit & at the moment non are available I have been waiting 8 weeks for one & its not a job for a DIY'r I know have done loads,

A Marco water heater has no 3 way valve. It has a diaphragm valve the works on water flow to operate the gas valve. After changing the diaphragm it will need the safe operation of the burner checking.
You must be gas safe and lpg registered to be deemed as competent.

It's the Morco combi Boilers and its more just for a work perspective as I have been asked to do it before but I wasn't sure if I could with out been gas safe, yea it's LPG not domestic and it's the diaphragm that goes inside the three way valve. The outer case is just purely decorative to cover all the bits inside, the combustion chamber is sealed in a separate bit within the boiler? Hope that this makes sense and thank you for all the replies.

It's the Morco combi Boilers and its more just for a work perspective as I have been asked to do it before but I wasn't sure if I could with out been gas safe, yea it's LPG not domestic and it's the diaphragm that goes inside the three way valve. The outer case is just purely decorative to cover all the bits inside, the combustion chamber is sealed in a separate bit within the boiler? Hope that this makes sense and thank you for all the replies.

then your fine

If your on about the FEB range you have to disconnect a pipe inside the combustion chamber in order to remove the valve, its not possible just to remove the valve the complete block has to be removed, its also advisable to replace the spindle seals at the same time, takes a good hr. or more to strip down the valve , replace all the seals etc. that's not including the time it takes to remove & refit the water section a good 3-4 hrs.

then your fine

He has to go into the combustion chamber to disconnect pipe from water section in order to remove complete water section, not advisable just to replace diaphragm all seals need to be replaced its a pig of a job to do

He has to go into the combustion chamber to disconnect pipe from water section in order to remove complete water section, not advisable just to replace diaphragm all seals need to be replaced its a pig of a job to do

I've replaced just the diaphragm a few times all has been ok

I have watched my boss replace the just the diaphragm a few times, it usually seems to solve the problem and maybe we are on about different boilers but on the ones I have seen my boss do and also done under the supervision of my boss, you don't have to touch any of the gas pipes just the water side of it. Thank you for the reply, it seems like such a grey area I just don't want to do something I aren't supposed to.

It's not just about the gas pipes - it's about the firebox or combustion chamber and the chimney or flue. Anything to do with either the gas ,the air for burning, or the exhaust, as it were.

I've replaced just the diaphragm a few times all has been ok
Morco now recommend that the push rod seals be replaced at the same time but this is on the FEB range not sure what Morco boiler OP is on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Three way valve in Morco Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock