Search the forum,

Discuss Three port valve issue?? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have a gravity fed heating system with a valiant boiler. It's a system with a hot water tank in the cupboard and a couple of tanks in the loft.

Basically the problem I'm having is....... When the programmer turns on to boil up the hot water tank it seems to be turning on my heating even though my thermostat isn't calling for heat. I suspected it was the three port valve so I changed the electronic controller on the top but kept the old valve in place as it was the type you could unscrew and change the head.

Also some further information..... When the thermostat isn't calling for heat and the programmer for the water is off, my pump seems to circulate water around the heating system and never turn off until it's turned off at the programmer.

My questions are....

Does it sound like a three port valve issue?

If it is the valve then is a full system drain required in order to take it off and replace it with a new one?

Thanks in advance for any advice đź‘Ť

It would be the most likely cause but theres other causes a blocked cold feed and or vent , a faulty programmer , thermostat , a failing or failed pump , debris in the 3 way valve body , the heated system water can creep down the return pipework it needs diagnosing , also check the wiring even a loose wire connection can cause it ? . Changing a valve body will require draining not completely but to a manageable level ? it maybe a good time for a system clean and flush adding new inhibitor it can and will help in the transfer of heat for winter. .Regards kop

Last edited:
Is the pump in with the boiler or separate? How old is the boiler and how old is the issue? Could be the 24v link at the boiler has been left in.
Hi, the pump is in the airing cupboard with the hot water cylinder. The boiler is about 5 years old and serviced regularly. I've had the issue for a long time, engineers have been before on several occasions and they seem to fix it temporarily but then it comes back. They have never really explained what they found, they usually say something like.... Oh it was a wiring issue or something like that but when I press for more details they don't usually give it. If you need anymore information just ask. Thank you for your reply

It would be the most likely cause but theres other causes a blocked cold feed and or vent , a faulty programmer , thermostat , a failing or failed pump , debris in the 3 way valve body , the heated system water can creep down the return pipework it needs diagnosing , also check the wiring even a loose wire connection can cause it ? . Changing a valve body will require draining not completely but to a manageable level ? it maybe a good time for a system clean and flush adding new inhibitor it can and will help in the transfer of heat for winter. .Regards kop
Hi, thanks for the reply. Funny you should mention the debris issue, I'm currently changing the rad in the hallway and when I disconnected the feeds, the inlet was just dripping out black gunk and water. I have a 5 meter long drain unblocker that fit up the 10mm pipe and managed to fill a washing up bowl full of black dirty water but I think the blockage is still a bit further up the pipe but I couldn't go any further because I hit a bend/joint in the pipe. Even with all the gunk coming out it's still only dropping. All the other radiators seem to be functioning well and I've just removed them one by one and flushed them all out.

I have a tank bung kit and can drain the cylinder no problem if I need to change it. I was wondering though.... The pipe that comes up in to the 3 port valve from the boiler... Will water come out of this when the valve is removed? I'm guessing if it's all turned off and isolated then it won't but not 100% sure.

Yes I was looking at the flush option, how much would I be looking at roughly for that? I don't want to get ripped off so a ballpark figure would be handy to know. I'm in a 4 bed with 11 radiators.

Thanks for your help đź‘Ť

Reply to Three port valve issue?? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock