Discuss Thread size help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all
Am doing a bit off DIY fitting a sink and all the pluming the size off the nut coming from the tap pipe is G1/2
Am I right on thinking that a 15 mm isolating valve will screw onto it ok?
Sorry for silly question but very new too all off this diy plumbing .
Many thanks
Paul

If the "nut coming from the tap pipe" you refer to is the nut on the end of a flexible pipe, you shouldn't be trying to screw it directly onto an isolating valve, unless the valve is one of the special ones with a flat mating surface. Most of these valves are designed for compression fittings using an olive. The ends of the threaded parts are relatively sharp (angled for the compression olive) and may well cut into the rubber washer in the nut at the end of the flexi. You can get adaptors to make the connection, e.g. Screwfix 2665R.

If the "nut coming from the tap pipe" you refer to is the nut on the end of a flexible pipe, you shouldn't be trying to screw it directly onto an isolating valve, unless the valve is one of the special ones with a flat mating surface. Most of these valves are designed for compression fittings using an olive. The ends of the threaded parts are relatively sharp (angled for the compression olive) and may well cut into the rubber washer in the nut at the end of the flexi. You can get adaptors to make the connection, e.g. Screwfix 2665R.
Hi
Yes the nut from the tap pipe, what I was going to do was fit this to make it a tad easyer for me
Compression Isolating Valve (Dia)15mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q

That link shows a self cutting tap ???
You don’t want to use them for anything. Terrible
Yes thats what I was going too use , as didn't fancy messing up my pipes buy cutting them , I have used a different size one before for my washing machine and never had any problems so I thought it would be ok

Your house, your rules however believe that you will come to regret it.
Slightly confused as to exactly what you are doing, thought you were replacing the sink?

Sounds to me the OP was just intending of tightening a self cutting horrible valves into the middle of their pipes and joining a tap flexies to the valves as a no skill sort of attempt of plumbing.
Probably was going to plug the original outlet or turn an iso off.

Sounds to me the OP was just intending of tightening a self cutting horrible valves into the middle of their pipes and joining a tap flexies to the valves as a no skill sort of attempt of plumbing.
Probably was going to plug the original outlet or turn an iso off.

Hence my approach these days... ;)

Your house, your rules however believe that you will come to regret it.
Slightly confused as to exactly what you are doing, thought you were replacing the sink?
I have a down stairs toilet and it was never fitted with a sink so I am going too fit one

Reply to Thread size help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back