Search the forum,

Discuss Thoughts on this system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Thoughts on this system, pro's, con's, positives, blasphemy and warrented abuse?
Asuming flow through combi is less than desired for filling bath / shower
vs an unvented system...
Why would or wouldnt you?

sorry if its in the wrong forum, but thought it better in general as its not heating focused as such?

A great many thanks!

S-Plan Combi with Combination Cylinder.jpg

Do unvented engineers charge more or not really? How do you think maintenance would compare? Is there anything to be said for the fact if the combi was already there, and the fact this could produce on demand hot water at other outlets? Or is that not really worth it in the bigger picture?

So the pump would more likely run dry, rather than the user deciding its not hot enough first?

I take your point though, its possible in the first place for it to run dry, where as with a correctly sized tank its not possible, it would just produce cold at least for ages, long enough to decide its too cold.

Thanks for the answer btw that's cracking advice mate.

Last edited:
Correct need at least 50 gallons for a pumped supply

But if you have a good main pressure and flow you can get away with 35-40 gallons

Legend great advice.

Say you swapped the combi cylinder, for a separate vented cylinder and 50gal feed tank... (which removes a big advantage because now there's a feed tank again)

Any other areas it would not perform aswel as an unvented?

Would an unvented have miles faster warm up time, or not really?

TBH my opinion it's a backwards idea your installing a gravity set up and then boosting it other than your water flow and pressure being too low for a unvented set up (only reason to install like your suggesting ) unvented all the way

These days cylinders are the same insulation wise but if you decide the gravity way go for a stainless steel cylinder something like a gledhill unit

Nice one,

This is just something I'm thinking about in my spare time, keeps me entertained. I'm not a plumber for a living, wish I could be though, find it interesting.

thanks for mentioning the stainless steel cylinder this gives me something else to learn about.

Unvented are undoubtedly the way to go BUT they are reliant on a decent incoming supply otherwise they will be a big (and expensive)
disappointment.

As long as the hot outlet on the combi isnpiped to a tap
Ive never personally used one as a system boiler, would you use a frequently used hot tap piped off the combi? why couldn't it just be capped? I was also thinking like certain boilers, Vaillant/glowworm you could put the boiler into p.06 fill mode and just pull the wires on the diverter valve so its open constantly on the heating side.

Reply to Thoughts on this system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We're looking to update our existing central heating setup and wanted to get a few more opinions. We currently have an open vented conventional boiler with cold water expansion tank in attic and indirect vented hot water cylinder. Initially we thought we would just swap to a combi...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock