Search the forum,

Discuss Thorn Olympic F Boiler Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mum rents out the flat above hers. The hot water cylinder and radiators are heated by an old Thorn Olympic F boiler. It never goes wrong so she wants to keep it for now.

Recently she had a Gas Safe engineer in to do the landlord cert. Everything passed, but he did mention that the the front of the boiler was quite hot. If you put your hand on the middle of the front of the boiler it does feel quite warm. Not so much in other areas. He didn't seem worried, but said that at the next service, he could re-line the casing - presumably with some kind of insulation.

Just want to check if this is OK, and something that occurs - especially with these boilers? Should she be worried? Are parts still available for these boilers? How old would this boiler be?

Thanks for any advice.

Thorn Olympic F Boiler.jpg

Last edited:
do you know if he took the case/cover off ?

and would you know the last time it was serviced ?

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I wasn't there but I don't think the cover came off. Last service was about 3 years ago. She will be getting it serviced in a couple of months.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I wasn't there but I don't think the cover came off. Last service was about 3 years ago. She will be getting it serviced in a couple of months.

might be worth having a word with the service guy and asking his opinion, need to have a look / be on site to give good advice sorry to say

hope you understand

Blimey, not seen one of those for a while. ShaunCorbs is right. Hard to say without seeing it.

Wow a Thorn Olympic ! getting on for 40 years + Myson took these over in the 80s insulation on these was limited ! on each side of the main hear exchanger (Cast Iron) And in the front & rear of gas burner, casings on these did get hot and in some cases dis colour ! is your mums a Fan flue ? or Balanced Flue ? Ventilation (Air space ) around these boilers is required DO-NOT store anything near boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thorn Olympic F Boiler Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, moved into a home a year ago with what is probably an old heating system. There is a gas boiler linking to radiator central heating, and a water tank. Energy company charged an enormous amount for gas last winter (admittedly I hadn't taken regular meter readings so was unaware until a huge...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially boils down to the heat exchanger so I am now looking to bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed. My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
I have a 3 port valve Y plan system, with a hot water tank in airing cupboard and a cold water feeder tank in loft. I want to replace the old 25+ year old boiler. Should I just replace with a like for like condensing boiler or a combi. I understand to fit a combi involves a lot more work (more...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a sealed system with 18 Rads/towel rads which is run by a greenstar boiler with a sealed hot water tank. I'm using a tado thermostat and the Pump is a 15/50 Groundfos. The issue is there are two radiators that are cold. So I closed down every radiator except for these two, apart...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock