Search the forum,

Discuss Thinking of getting an apprentice..advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

ive been plumbing 10 years now and on my own last 5 years. Think I'm pretty knowledgable but need to learn a lot more - especially on the business side!

so I've had a complete overhaul and got my act together regarding paperwork, accounts and invoicing system.

Recently went to reumotologist as I have a lot of aching joints and he's classed me as having severe hyper mobility which can have bad affects such as aching joints, fatigue etc - carrying boilers the way I have prob hasn't helped apparently.

So I got to start thinking about the future and need to get someone on board to help.

Was thinking of getting a school leaver but wanted to know best way of going about this. What are your experiences? Etc Do I just phone up colleges or put out an add?

My worries are what happens in the quiet times as I'm not always flat out. Does the government help out?
im also hoping getting someone on bored will get me more motivated plus it's getting dull on my own.

Im in London and need someone April/May

any advice much appreciated.

From your post it sounds like you are only trying to serve your own interests which is fair enough however getting a school leaver to carry boilers for you is just crossing the line. Get a labourer and pay him labourers rate dont get a kid and use him as a mule and pay peanuts.

From your post it sounds like you are only trying to serve your own interests which is fair enough however getting a school leaver to carry boilers for you is just crossing the line. Get a labourer and pay him labourers rate dont get a kid and use him as a mule and pay peanuts.

Kind of ignorant to presume I'm looking for a glorified slave isn't it? I'm looking for a school leaver partly because I would like to pass on knowlegdge and think I'd be a good person to do. What makes you think I'm going to take advantage? Or should no plumber take on a school leaver at all? Why take from a short message that I'm trying to take advantage of someone you donut. You think I'll just get him/her to just lift boilers and that's it?! Don't be such a ****. I've been in that spot and I got taken advantage of and would not continue that cycle and if you think that guys take on labourers, apprentices without they're own interest at heart then your very naive my freind. Just respond with advice not a unsubstantiated presumptive accusation about my intentions based upon a very short post.

Understand where you are coming from.

The hardest thing with taking a kid on is finding the right one.

1/ you have to work with them for a number of years.
2/ you are taking on someone, at an age, when there are more interesting things in life for them than plumbing.

As regarding wages - just work out how much they will cost you each year, divide down to hourly rate, double that amount and charge them out at that rate.
That should cover any shortfall and make you extra money.

The other thing you will have to just keep them in check.
They all develop attitudes that need reigning in from time to time.

If you think you need one - start searching and interviewing kids.

Thay do have benefits that will assist you and your business

I've had 2 apprentices now it is really satisfying passing on your skills, knowledge and methods. Your local tech / or building college is the best place to start looking for someone who needs a placement. I also paid for them to learn to drive and provided a van when they passed their test. Only down side is both of my apprentices went AWOL as soon as they got there gas licence and went to work away where the better money is. Couldn't blame them as I went chasing the big money when I was younger, but It is a little bit disappointing as I never really got a chance to reap the benefit from 3.5yrs of training them, putting them through college, the extra costs involved ( pension schemes, uniforms, insurance) etc. and time spent with them. I would do it again though no hesitation. I wish you good luck in finding someone.

Kind of ignorant to presume I'm looking for a glorified slave isn't it? I'm looking for a school leaver partly because I would like to pass on knowlegdge and think I'd be a good person to do. What makes you think I'm going to take advantage? Or should no plumber take on a school leaver at all? Why take from a short message that I'm trying to take advantage of someone you donut. You think I'll just get him/her to just lift boilers and that's it?! Don't be such a ****. I've been in that spot and I got taken advantage of and would not continue that cycle and if you think that guys take on labourers, apprentices without they're own interest at heart then your very naive my freind. Just respond with advice not a unsubstantiated presumptive accusation about my intentions based upon a very short post.

You might want to edit your original post then mate because that's not the message I got from it at all. And if you've been on that spot maybe you should have taken better care to explain your honorable intentions straight away.

You might want to edit your original post then mate because that's not the message I got from it at all. And if you've been on that spot maybe you should have taken better care to explain your honorable intentions straight away.

with all due respect mate i think ill leave post as it is. You are annoying but I'm sure you mean well so no problem.

I also think there is not reason to offend someone or calling someone names .. it ain't the right place here ... I guess we all want to be treated nice and with respect so we should start respecting each other ...

However, Darren Jackson is quite right, once the apprentice feels a bit more confident and has all the necessary qualifications then they are going to look for more money or even going self employed... that's the risky part though, to give your knowledge further and still keep that person in your company.

I also think there is no reason to offend someone or calling someone names .. it ain't the right place here ... I guess we all want to be treated nice and with respect so we should start respecting each other ...

However, Darren Jackson is quite right, once the apprentice feels a bit more confident and has all the necessary qualifications then they are going to look for more money or even going self employed... that's the risky part though, to give your knowledge further and still keep that person in your company.

sometimes the replies on this do my head in { my local plumber } asked a simple question and the replies he gets are he is looking for a slave . well stanios me must all have been someones slave at some point how else do we know the job, we know it because at some point some guy /girl joints were starting to ache from years of lifting and bending and they thought to there self I NEED AN APRENTICE

sometimes the replies on this do my head in { my local plumber } asked a simple question and the replies he gets are he is looking for a slave . well stanios me must all have been someones slave at some point how else do we know the job, we know it because at some point some guy /girl joints were starting to ache from years of lifting and bending and they thought to there self I NEED AN APRENTICE

And that's exactly why we will never have enough apprentices, how can you temp a school leaver with labouring on no contract basis when they can get a clean job in supermarket for double pay and employment rights? And remind them that they will be lucky to get 30k a year after the 4 year stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thinking of getting an apprentice..advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock