Search the forum,

Discuss Thinking of doing a course? Read this 1st in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bbb

The bottom line is that plumbing is starting to become saturated in the Uk. There is no shortage of plumbers, infact the opposite, too many. We are also on the brink of a recession and many large building firms have ceased their new builds which means all the plumbers who were working on new builds are now back in the domestic market. Before parting with your money to go on these courses I would think very carefully. The qualifications you gain are useless and will NOT get you a job. Larger firms will always take aprentices from college, and even the young lads at college dont always find work. You would be better off writing to plumber in your area and trying to get experience that way, but the likehood is that none will take you on. Would you rather shell out 5k only to find theres no work? or would you rather do your homework first and save your money?? At your local training centre look at how many people there are who live in your area, look at how many adverts are in the local rag and yellow pages etc. Think about how many training centres and colleges there are in the UK and the number of people all attending them,the numbers just dont add up. Do you really think you can make money starting out on your own after only a few weeks pipe bending?? The people at the training centres will tell you there is loads of work, but they are just after your money. I get loads of letters every month begging to work with me for free, but I cant afford to help them. The only people who benefit from these courses are the people who went to them when there was a genuine shortage of plumbers (2000-2004) if your thinking about doing it now then your just wasting your time and money. I urge you to think about it and do some research of your own before you go, dont just listen to what the people at the training centre tell you. And if you still want to go ahead then all the luck in the world, but I think you are seriously kidding yourselves

My son (17 years old) has an "offer" from BTSC and we are curently discussing the merits and possible financing of an £4,850 course.

I am keen to help him as he is enthusiastic and genuinely would like to acquire the skills and learn the trade.

However, as a business owner, albeit in a different field (software development) I am questioning the "pot of gold" stories about plumbing bearing in mind the prevailing financial climate (early 2008). The stories from BTSC seem "too good to be true" - guaranteed jobs, £40,000 a year salaries!

I am not denigrating the quality of the courses or the tutional professionalism of the providers but their business is ultimately to sell courses isn't it?

What would be a plumbing professionals advice for a 17-year old starter.

A 17 year old lad would be better off doing an aprenticeship. Ask at local colleges and start writing letters to local firms. Shelling out near 5k would be unwise. Any company worth its salt will take on apprentices and college leavers, unless you live in an area where plumbing is heavily subscribed. He is exactly the right age to be getting a foot on the ladder. These courses seem to be designed for people who want to start up on their own (and in my opinion are a con) Plumbers get hundreds of letters a month from people begging for a job, my advice would be to knock on doors on an evening, let people see that he is young an eager and he will stand a much better chance instead of ending up in the bin with all the other letters

Marketing is they key to any successful business.

You can be amongst a thousand plumbers - get the marketing right and your a winner. :)

just booked up with OCLI. Ive read a lot of reviews some really good but some pretty poor to be honest. Wanted to learn a trade and plumbing is something I wanted to get into for a while but never had the chance. Im 25 years old and have been in full time employment since I left school until a few days ago so this is the perfect opportunity to do this plus I have the money should I do it, or should I just find another crappy job?

I dont want to throw money away, obviously but I dont want to miss out on a great chance either!

This course looks the part its perfect location for me. Only one in Scotland and the OCLI have a distinquished history in lots oif fields so is it worth it?:confused:

I know ill need to gain experience working but this seems like a great opportunity and even though there is a recetion, you'll always need tradesman. I also so a report stating the lack of plumbers so I cant see them running out of work. I know its always hard to get a plumber to come quickly in my area. They are always so busy!

Any true feedback from people on this course or who has done it would be greatly appreciated. :)

water regs in Scotland are not the same as England make sure your are going to get the right training before you start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thinking of doing a course? Read this 1st in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock