Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic Mixing Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I had some guy on saying that I should be fitting TMV's on cylinder outlets to reduce hot water temperatures down to 45 degrees C on leaving the cylinder. Apparently he fits his that way! Now I have been involved in legionella prevention in commercial and industrial systems for about 20 years and know that kind of thing is really risky. He mentioned G3 to me, then I quoted back word for word the requirements for blending valves on cylinder outlets heated by uncontrolled heat sources (stoves) is what that part is intended for, and the temperature must be (if I remember correctly without looking up, (correct me if I am wrong) 60 to 65 degrees C). TMVs should be located as close as possible to the taps (less than 1m). Then he tried to tell me that you couldnt fit any valves between the cylinder outlet and the taps!

It's scary what some people do! How many people are reading the Building Regualtions without actually understanding the requirements?

Last edited:
On Albion Mainsflows thermal stores, they came with blending valves already fitted to their factory pre plumbed arrangement. As the Mainsflows only had a maximum heat store of about 65 degrees, the valve was intended to blend the heat to much lower temperatures.
Guess that then was wrong.

As in this photo
image.jpg

Building regulations state tmvs should be as close as possible to outlets to reduce areas with potential for microbial colonisation

If you have a cylinder and a TMV on the outlet of the cylinder, the system is correct because if the cylinder is heated to over 60 C, then the legionella is killed before it enter the hot water line. Due to the variants of temperatures in the hot water line from 50 C down to less than 15 C, the bacteria is dormant and not able to breed - considered safe.

If you have a ring main system then you need TMV's closer to the outlet, because the ring main becomes part of the cylinder system and the ring main must be heated to over 60 C to kill off the bacteria.

If you have a system that is a warm water ring main - 45 C - then you will need another source to kill off bacteria - ie: ultra violet disinfection system.

It's all dependant on what type of system setup you have installed.

Last edited:
It is also down to risk assessment. You also need to consider that the legionella may be present on the surfaces of the line after the cylinder rather than in the cylinder itself. The industrial standards for control of warm water supply and cooling systems can be mind boggling! In some cases calls for routine disinfection cycles and as you say, UV treatment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostatic Mixing Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Do people with this type of mixed flow temperature control have any problems with achieving the required manifold flow temperature? The one below I think is similar to the TIO Mixing unit. In the unit below, the hot (boiler) water enters from the bottom left, red arrow, up through the "mixing...
Replies
Views
I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get warmer than others despite closing off the skirting radiator heat vent. They are designed to house the finned heating pipe and a return pipe, the latter...
Replies
Views
the majority of my radiators have thermostatic valves. Some of these work fine but some of them dont let you adjust the temp. ie. Setting one or setting 5 makes no difference - the radiator is blazing hot. For small bedrooms this is pain cos the room just heats up too much. we first...
Replies
Views
I have NuHeat UFH system, and this has no Thermostatic Blending valve on the heating circuit. (Heat Master II cylinder has pick up coil) Nu-Heat System installed - This means I can't run store above 60C due to risk of overheating UFH pipes. I want to add a Thermostatic Mixing valve so have...
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was working fine for a coupe of months however now the valve has started misbehaving which is resulting in having to turn the temperature valve round further...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock