Search the forum,

Discuss Thermodynamic Panels, I want your positive thoughts and negative thoughts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scotsplum

Hi guys :waving:

I am starting this thread so I can gain a bit more info for myself so would appreciate any info whether positive or negative

Last year I had one of these thermodynamic systems installed prior to installation I was informed Accreditation was being sought regarding the RHI payment well things are moving :snore: maybe. The system performs better than I expected, I have friends that have other recognized systems installed and my system seems to out perform theirs especially given the location (Scotland) I have learnt this type of system is not so good when installed further south why :dizzy2:. I work as a trainer/Lecturer in plumbing so have access to a lot of other information regarding renewables but have been unable to source a lot of feedback regarding this type of system. Is it because it is possibly one of the new technologies and as such is not trustworthy, it is not been test driven enough or is there another reason?

Iv worked on a couple TD systems. Both get ok COPs

No doubt you'll get a great COP in direct sunlight but when that's gone, the actual surface area for evaporating the fgas is small compared to ASHP and gshp in my opinion.

No doubt you'll get a great COP in direct sunlight but when that's gone, the actual surface area for evaporating the fgas is small compared to ASHP and gshp in my opinion.

I have had the advantage of seeing inside an ASHP and the area devoted to claiming the heat out of the air is actually quite smaller than the area given to the Thermodynamic Panel where it could possibly pick more heat is the increased air flow due to the fan but given that action the fan takes energy to run it whereas the panel does not I believe that would make it less efficient. I agree with you a GSHP certainly has a larger area than a panel therefore it would claim more heat and therefore would be a more efficient system although it is quite a bit more expensive if you require a bore hole rather than land trenching. I thank you for taking the time to reply.

But if you broke the evaporator down to its thin ally strips I'm sure the effective surface area would be larger, but then you could be right.

Given the cost & pay back period, standard solar thermal would be much better. Also, for simple technoligy you can't beat it.

The latest research has shown Co2 as being the best refrigerant gas, so I wouldn't let the Greenwash Used Carsalesmen sell me anything less!

Actuall COP's rather than 'quite good' would help. The reason this product was thrown out of MCS was that they got certification based on a solar panel rather than what it actually - an air source heat pump. You need a COP of well in excess of 2.5 to make it better solution than a condensing gas boiler..

To date the manufacturers have refused to submit their systems for independant performance tests (despite one testing body offering to do it for free if they supplied the supplied and installed systems at their test facility) also the manufactuers either won't or can't provide comprehensive CoP and SPF data for their systems as they would be installed in the UK. Until then we won't install them, if and when certified CoP and SPF data, and it stacks up, then we will offer it.

So if anyone has got real CoP data - metered inputs, metered outputs, climate data etc, then please lets have it :)

The Japanese are getting some phenomenal CoP's from ASHP's using CO2.

Net effect - they are beating up DECC at the moment over the domestic RHI SpF figures for their prodcusts and pushing them to use real figures as opposed to generic tables irrespective of make / model / installer ...

It's diffcult to get an ASHP to stack up against an oil boiler under the current domestic RHI proposals.

Don't think any of the cylinders have been issued g3 tickets either, mate has one on trial and says its ok! Nothing more, said an ashp would run more cost efficient. Issue I have is as worcestor said, no one wants to release figures, ie how much does the heat pump inside cost to run etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermodynamic Panels, I want your positive thoughts and negative thoughts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock