Search the forum,

Discuss Thermocouples on cookers / hobs - LGSC question ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert large

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello all,

With all new cookers / hobs having thermocouples fitted to the burner rings, am I right in thinking that older cookers / hobs without thermocouples in a house or flat inspected for a Landlord's check should now be classed as "not to current standard" ? :confused:

think it only applies to flats,dont think it should be ncs lots of older appliances dont have ffd,s

Gasman is right - worked a contract with loads of cp12's on cookers and most of them where old cookers in multi-dwellings ie flats and it is classed as NTCS in multidwellings only a bog standard house is ok

From 1st June 2008 new fluless appliances fitted in multi-dwellings buildings must have FSD's on all burners.
So technically only if it was installed after 1st June 2008 would it be NCS if had no FSD.

So technically only if it was installed after 1st June 2008 would it be NCS if had no FSD.

Would you not say AR or ID ,as you would have to assume installed by an incompetent ,unregistered person......no

came across one the other week,newly installed,no fsd capped off and guess what,mate round the corner put it in...strange they never can find them again,even from just round the corner :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
The TB on this indicates that existing installations, regardless of installation date, are NCS.

Would you not say AR or ID ,as you would have to assume installed by an incompetent ,unregistered person......no

came across one the other week,newly installed,no fsd capped off and guess what,mate round the corner put it in...strange they never can find them again,even from just round the corner :confused:
Following TB015 it should be classified as NCS for having no FSD's if fitted after 1st June 08. And the responsible person(s) are informed to make right.

The TB on this indicates that existing installations, regardless of installation date, are NCS.

That’s because the new school boy’s are looking at the installation it’s self....hob with no fsd, as they allow pre 2008 hobs not to have fsd, they can only say ncs,as you can not have two hobs the same 1 ok and the other ar, which you could still argue about ,however taking the logical conclusion as given in below post , how can it be
Gas appliances installed by non registered, incompetent installers are not ‘ncs’,they are ‘ar’ at best and a court of law would agree

would add Technical Bulletins are not law,my points are
imho

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, TBs aren't law; they are industry guidance.

Discounting by whom it's installed, their competence or other defects because that's a whole new kettle of fish, the guidance we have says it is NCS regardless of installation date. The only other guidance given is that if it is installed after June 1998, then the original installer will be defected to meet the requirements.

Be aware if the customer is moving into a multi dwelling they can move an existing cooker that does not have FSD's fitted to the hob burners.
So if you come accross these appliances in new multi dwellings (June 1998) ask the customer if they brought the appliance with them??

Yep, that's right! I think the whole damn thing is a toothless bit of 'guidance'. Regardless of installation date it's NCS, it only applies to HMOs, second-hand/previously used cooker don't count (but NCS) ... how much more 'loose' could you get?

One of my engineers went to one today (terrace) with a 90 year old tenant. Earlier this year the neighbours called the Grid out because they smelled gas. Turns out there's gas ****ing out of the cooker where she'd left it on and the flame blew out or she never properly ignited it. Because it's a terrace, we can't even NCS it! Just how flippin' ridiculous is that? :mad:

Be aware if the customer is moving into a multi dwelling they can move an existing cooker that does not have FSD's fitted to the hob burners.
So if you come accross these appliances in new multi dwellings (June 1998) ask the customer if they brought the appliance with them??

just to add my tuppenceworth, and to cloud already muddy waters, i agree with what you say, but remember something about it only being allowed if you are NOT stripping out a cooker which has FSD's (ie therefore making the property less safe than it was) total nonsense and this bit in particular is unenforceable, lets be honest they bottled out of making the only sensible change to reg, as of Jan 1st 1998 ALL new cooking appliances MUST have FSD. we know why they didnt pressure from the manufacturers, who bleated that they would lose custom (and the government would lose revenue) if this went through as people wouldnt buy cookers, they might have chosen electric and lost us some work, but hey ho what price blowing up your neighbours

doesnt it come under ncs be cause of when it was fitted if its working correctly no faults and no smell of gas then its ncs and would only come ar /id if there was a fault and if there was a fault it would be id and changed anyway also we would be changing everything older otherwise

done this today this is only in multi dwellings or flats not all houses must have fsd in flats

done this today this is only in multi dwellings or flats not all houses must have fsd in flats

thanks for this update, any news on 90 degree bends on RS fan flued boilers, there are a few of us worried on here when we think back to how many we have fitted over the yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermocouples on cookers / hobs - LGSC question ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock