Search the forum,

Discuss thermocon 090/1210 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Walker

hi all got a problem with the above mentioned boiler. i normally only carry out service and commissioning work but have been called to a break down. boiler smoking excessively changed nozzle pump pressure ok air setting set at 5. now motor has stopped you can hear a clicking and then a humming but the motor does not start. so question i have is if the motor is failing could this be the cause of the excessive smoke due to not turning the fan at right speed to allow sufficient air to be pulled in.any help much appreciated i will try to up load a couple of videos if i can.
many thanks

[DLMURL]https://vimeo.com/156088488[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
don't expect any help here chief as Ive been registered for a couple of years (gas not oil). But I had no help at all with a recent problem that I had with an oil boiler

don't expect any help here chief as Ive been registered for a couple of years (gas not oil). But I had no help at all with a recent problem that I had with an oil boiler

Run that by me again?

Either the oil pump is seizing or there's mouse jam in the fan.

Check for mouse then run the motor with the oil pump disconnected.

i have checked the fan and thats fine whats got me is that it was smoking before it stoped. i have changed the nozzle as it had the wrong nozzle fitted but that made no diffrence to it smoking. any other ideas croppie please as i cant stick my fga in as it is at mo and im struggling

Check the airway route on each side of the fan. It would surprise you what can block the air and only takes a tiny bit of fibreglass insulation caused by mice to block the air adjustment internal door partially

Have you cleaned the primary heat exchanger and baffles thoroughly????

i have cheked the fan but will check again. i did clean the heat exchanger fully after which i looked like i had just come up from the pitts. could the motor slow the fan if on its way out say as it break downs

ok will do croppie but as i got a constant good pump pressure would that not indicate pump as fine if not what should i be looking for. thanks for your help

Have you checked the flue seals? If they are degrading and allowing combustion gases into the air intake and back into the combustion chamber you will get smoke and poor performance. Take the intake hose off the burner, bung up the flue, take the lead off the solenoid to prevent firing, drop a smoke pellet in the burner, let the fan run and you will see if there are any leaks as smoke will pour down the air intake hose. Might be a contributing factor to motor failure. Check the pump isn't seized too. Can the motor be set spinning when energised (using a pencil on the fan not your fingers) or is it sluggish? If so, replace it.

Last edited:
Check everything, could be more than one failure mode

update for you all. replaced capacitor today as motor had stopped now motor running fine and very little smoke. so looks like it wasn't giving anoth power to motor which in turn wasnot driving fan fast anoth to pulling correct amount of air.

update for you all. replaced capacitor today as motor had stopped now motor running fine and very little smoke. so looks like it wasn't giving anoth power to motor which in turn wasnot driving fan fast anoth to pulling correct amount of air.

The capacitor is only there to start the motor and in proper direction. A perfectly functioning motor with a faulty or missing capacitor will work no problem if you spin the fan to start it.
I wouldn't think the capacitor is the only problem.

Strange one. I have never known a burner motor to perform better with replacing the capacitor. They just will have a nice sharp start up.
Just be careful the oil pump isn't dropping pressure the longer if works, or the motor is running slow.

ok will do thinking about it does the power not run through the capacior constantly to the motor but get step up to start off

ok will do thinking about it does the power not run through the capacior constantly to the motor but get step up to start off

No. There are two sets of windings in the motor. The capacitor creates an inbalance in one of the sets of windings which in turn creates a rotating magnetic field. Although the capacitor is permanently connected it really only affects the start up.

As best said above you can jump start the motor without the capacitor. But once stopped it won't start without another jump start.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if a capacitor happens to create a short circuit on failure it can affect the operation of a motor and if this is so, it may explain it, but I cant remember the details and I'm not an electrical engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to thermocon 090/1210 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock