Search the forum,

Discuss The worst plumbing invention ever..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old gate valves from the 50's etc seem to be alot better than the cheapo just of today?

One pointless load of garbage it this cartridge cutter, my toolbox is heavy enough without filling it with more rubbish.

Z

Stanley knife....HELLO?

I cant see pic, but got a cartridge cutter from screwfix and find it useful

Now come on everyone, the top worse invention must be the drain valve, they always leak when hose connected, get stuck or leak from connector, who ever invented that did not test that.

But I can still beat that, who ever invented these was on something or really wanted to annoy plumbers....
MYSON MATCHMATE 15MM LOCKSHIELD DRAIN OFF RADIATOR VALVE NICKEL ...

who would ever consider putting the valve inside the drain? get the water shooting at you, while holding the bucket and trying to stick the hose on.

Now come on everyone, the top worse invention must be the drain valve, they always leak when hose connected, get stuck or leak from connector, who ever invented that did not test that.

But I can still beat that, who ever invented these was on something or really wanted to annoy plumbers....

who would ever consider putting the valve inside the drain? get the water shooting at you, while holding the bucket and trying to stick the hose on.

Page two post 13.....you must have missed it while looking for your Stanley knife.....:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Why? Lost your Stanley knife.....:)

yes, my stanley knife is always hidden at the bottom of my toolbox, this tool is always in the "special tools" part of my van which is easily accessible so that I can get those little tools that I need when I need them

Essex flange in the side of cylinders..... dont even look at it or it will leak!

I don't see why everyone has trouble with them, just close the rad valve both ends open up the drain off into a cloth which just releases the pressure in the rad. Then pop your hose on and open up both valves. Takes a bit longer than a normal drain valve but it saves splashing dirty water over the walls and spending 5 minutes looking for the pin which shot 5 miles away!

I needed to release pressure on a system a few weeks ago where the custard kept topping it up until the PRV opened. It was on 3.5bar when I got there.
The drain off points were like these and I did exactly as tweakyboy suggested above.
The newly painted wall didn't look too great afterwards, they are a dumb idea, and the bleed screw even popped out at one point.

Agree!! I had to drain down using one of those Myson valves. Thought it must have been an April Fools!!

As long as you get the nut away from the ring far enough. Love this thing.
Just needs deburring quite often to get it in. But hey P/C does a reasonable deburring tool and the Rothenberger pipe cutters got one build in as well.
Actually not a case for the worst plumbing invention apart from the fact that once you have used it you wish you could get one for microbore as well and can not get one for money.

BES do both 8mm and 10mm olive cutters - cant justify the 8mm for me but 10mm great for rad valve changes!

I will have a sneak at them.

They are great however you need to ensure that the internal burr is removed as it significantly reduces the id of the pipe owing to the soft copper. Forget this and you could end up in a world of pain with major circulation problems.

They are great however you need to ensure that the internal burr is removed as it significantly reduces the id of the pipe owing to the soft copper. Forget this and you could end up in a world of pain with major circulation problems.

That is not to different to the 15mm+ one then. If I have done the installation the pipes will be deburred anyway. But unfortunately not everybody even considers that. Especially on gas pipes fighting for fractions of a millibar it is often the difference between using 22mm or 28mm Cu pipe. At the expense of speed.
Same for microbore.

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The worst plumbing invention ever..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock