Search the forum,

Discuss The worst plumbing invention ever..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned 50 this year but back then with no Internet you were stuck with what was available locally. We only had 2 merchants in Hastings and a 3rd in Bexhill. None of them had anything apart from the shetack. We had two different sizes, one for metric and one for imperial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'll put forward this little beauty.

To my shame I bought one, and have never used it.

(Its for toilet seat fixings.....no really).

16530-Doddler_toilet_seat_fixing_t.jpg

Agree about gate valves. The green top ones aren't gate valves and are expensive. They're more like stop taps inside.

And that tap spanner. Useless, we used to call them a 'crows foot spanner'.

Open outlet taps are a bugger to work on so that's my vote.....

Google Image Result for

ps. How do you make the link appear as a pic?

Last edited by a moderator:
I nominate the old F type ajustable spanner

If you are referring to what I think you are, you're wrong! Brilliant for holding rad valves while tightening nuts on the tails!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with the sheetec spanner Chris, I don't remember the thing ever fitting a nut properly.

Give it a tap with a hammer to bend it in a bit. If you are lucky it will break and you can throw it away. If you are unlucky it will fit a 3/4" jambnut and you will throw it in the bottom of your bag just in case you need it :smile:

Give it a tap with a hammer to bend it in a bit. If you are lucky it will break and you can throw it away. If you are unlucky it will fit a 3/4" jambnut and you will throw it in the bottom of your bag just in case you need it :smile:

That is so true!! ha.

Think I can beat you all. I know something far worse: plumbing apprentices. :tounge_smile:

And the worse about them is whenever you thought you have shaped them halfway reasonably there is just another one.

Another terrible idea is those plastic "L" shaped brackets used to fix loos to the floor.

And those snap/fit 15mm/10mm reducers which cost ÂŁ1.50 each. Rip off and they don't work very well. Usually on the downstairs radiators which adds to the doom and gloom.

I hate those things with a passion.

I got one. I actually use it quite a lot. Not for loo seats though but for the wingnuts on close coupled cisterns.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
I bin the wing nuts and use standard hexagonal stainless steel nuts instead and use a socket wrench to tighten them. Done in seconds mate.

Timeclocks ever worked on a job that had one? a good whack with a pair of 24's soon sorts them out

I got one. I actually use it quite a lot. Not for loo seats though but for the wingnuts on close coupled cisterns.

I just use my fingers on them.....you see now I feel like a tough guy!! LOL.

I bin the wing nuts and use standard hexagonal stainless steel nuts instead and use a socket wrench to tighten them. Done in seconds mate.

I don't use it for assembling. I use it to loosen stubborn ones. Easy to grip and exerts more leverage than fingers on the small nuts. Especially on those bogs where you have to reach around the ceramic and stuff your hand up the back :)

uploadfromtaptalk1347399463550.jpg

I hate these things! Made a right mess of this one and I've fitted loads.

Yeah, they're crap. I know it means the fitting (whatever it may be) can have nice clean lines. But it also means that it relies on a poxy grub screw to fix it to the wall.

I would be tempted to agree(no I didn't do a 12 week wonder course). However, if you did do one of these courses and you thought you would make an overnight fortune then I bet they soon changed their minds when the first tricky job they encountered went titz up !!
:oops:

Todays job was......replacing a stuck gate valve on a hot shower feed in a loft. I did the change over live as I didn't want to turn off any more gate valves in case they stuck too. I also couldn't get access to plug the storage tank either as it was on a stool and tight to the eaves (what muppet installed that!). I put a few towels under the old gate valve, and a plastic containe, cracked it open and slipped the new one on quickly and the changeover was done in a minute with very little water.

Worst invention is those poxy doc lockshields where the screw which releases the water is inside the hose spigot .....
DOH! :rolleyes:

Agreed! Most pointless thing EVER!! Have got them on my valves in my flat and not allowed to change them!! Not that I ever will but asked anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The worst plumbing invention ever..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock