Search the forum,

Discuss The great solar panel blunder? Instead of south, we should point them east and west in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
They have been touted by some as the cheap and eco-friendly future of energy.

But many of Britain’s solar panels are not actually generating as much power as they could – because they are facing the wrong way, an expert has warned.
Angling solar panels in an alternating east and west-facing formation, rather than in rows facing directly towards the south, would actually increase the amount of electricity generated overall.

Such a formation means they do not need to be spaced out, as there would be a reduction in shadow. This allows them to be active for a longer period each day.

It would also cut the risk of disruption to the National Grid, says Ralph Gottschalg, of Loughborough University, who is working on a UK-wide project aiming to answer a number of questions relating to the production of energy through solar panels.

Read more: The great solar panel blunder? Instead of south, we should point them east and west, says academic | Daily Mail Online

Re: The great solar panel blunder? Instead of south, we should point them east and we

IS that where i have been going wrong?

I have been pointing all mine in a northerly or north - westerly direction.

Re: The great solar panel blunder? Instead of south, we should point them east and we

IS that where i have been going wrong?

I have been pointing all mine in a northerly or north - westerly direction.

Your upside down .

all this green and renewable stuf is a con i didnt realise most pellets for biomass boilers are being shipped from america
photovolactics and wind turbines are only feasable with the subsidies which every energy user is contributing to

all this green and renewable stuf is a con i didnt realise most pellets for biomass boilers are being shipped from america
photovolactics and wind turbines are only feasable with the subsidies which every energy user is contributing to

oh cmon slow coach, bin saying that for years, need to run for cover behind the bar now :)

Makes sense if you run the grid - and peak production happens with sun in 1 position !

( Maybe not so popular when your investment makes a bit less but for longer ... )
Lower peak - cheaper kit / longer life ?

only the numpties import pellets, this country has an abundance of pellets for biomass as when the commercial rhi kicked off, the expected everybody to use pellets as it has a higher energy output, but seeing as most systems installed were on farms or larger houses where they had their own suppply of timber, woodchip became the tbetter and obvious choice, especially larger boilers. Drax is the only place i know that is importing pellets on a huge scale!!! they spent £100m building a terminal just to have them delivered.

We could have done them at £100/tonne!!:hand:

point the pannels downwards and give the miners some light, we will be digging again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The great solar panel blunder? Instead of south, we should point them east and west in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock