Search the forum,

Discuss The blunt truth about age (let me have it!) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fab

I am a 29 year old Nutrition graduate but finding that there isn't a great demand for Nutritionists in this world!
It has lead me to thinking that learning a trade would be a good thing to do.
However, I am a realist and would rather know NOW if I'm too old to become a plumber at 29.
Why pour money into a training course if the cards are already stacked against me?!:D
I look forward to any honest input guys!

You're but a pup at 29...try 37 and i'm not the oldest! Read through some of the posts on here and you'll read about the 50 somethings re-training!

Hello and welcome....OH!! to be 29 again........still in nappies young man...go for it...

welcome to the forum

if you want it go for it (but make sure you are commited or you will just waste your money)

Due to the fact that I have a fiancee and young child, it is necessary for me to find out how soon I could be earning a decent crust (if I apply myself properly, of course), ie: ÂŁ300 a week.
If you tell me that it could be 4/5 years, then that could rule me out of the equation (through necessity, not impatience). Unfortunately, the money aspect has to be right when you have a family to feed.

PS: Thanks for the welcome guys!

Fab - your age is fine. The only thing I'd ask myself is "Have I enough experience in the building world?" DIY is fine but if you've only put up a couple of shelves and not much else it might pay to think of doing something different.

If, on the other hand, you've been under the floorboards, through the plaster into the walls and out the other side, maybe dabbled with wires, what's stopping you learning one of the trades?

The other thing is that trades are a useful qualification if you're thinking of leaving the country.

Dontknowitall

I am exactly what you described.... a guy who has only ever put up a few shelves and assembled IKEA furniture!:(

Oh well....

Just go for it Fab, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Im 35, and **** at DIY but i am doing a plumbing course.
If i want it enough i will succeed, and so shall you.

Just go for it Fab, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Im 35, and **** at DIY but i am doing a plumbing course.
If i want it enough i will succeed, and so shall you.

ha ha, I love that kind of positive spirit!
How are you doing on the course? Have you adapted well to it?

It's early days, and to be honest i was a bit scared about it all at first, but no more. Im so confident, i have made the right decision. Im gonna work hard and im gonna do well, i deserve it and my family deserve it.

I love the learning, the tutors are ace, and i can't wait to get back to my training.

Go for it mate.

Fab as [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/members/sirgordonzola.html"]sirgordonzola[/DLMURL] has said, just go for it. I'm 38 and been in the print trade for over twenty years now and have done a fast track course. The course has confirmed I want to be a plumber. I am looking at the C&G/NVQ qualirfications to further advance in the trade.

But with the little I know, I will say it does help to have done some plumbing even if it's just moving a radiator or changing qa tap.

Good luck..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 43 and started to retrain in January this year, there is a guy who is 58 on my course learning Gas.
I did feel it last week though when I was out on placement training, we had to take out an old boiler system and put in a new combi, It was on the 3rd floor, 7 flights of stairs, I must have been up and down those stairs 100 times , no exaggeration, I was shattered when I got home.
Go for the training if thats what interests you.

I was 45 when I re-trained as a plumber, been going for 5 years, now on my Gas course to become dual trade, age is not an obstacle, but you should read through this forum, talk to people in your own area and and try to gauge if you are entering this profession at the right time.

I would strongly reccommend you wait till business picks up when the economy recovers as otherwise you may not get the opportunity to develop either your skills or your business. Not meant to be rude, just answering your question, in many respects time is on your side as you are still far from old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The blunt truth about age (let me have it!) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock