Search the forum,

Discuss tescos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.. I for one are not going to be beat by this corporate onslaught. BG are the main player in my area and they are crap, not an issue. TESCO can "come ahead" as far as I'm concerned because the only guys I fear in this game are the guys who are on a par with me, and none of them will work for this corporate crap and their dismal rates!..
It may actually take some new players out of the game which is a welcome addition, dunno how they are going to beat the small guys on price unless they do a loss leader but judging on the rates they pay the small guy I wont have anything to worry about as the quality will be their downfall.. Matt Alwright & his pal better get their bike dusted down cos I predict a barriage of calls.

i have just read this tesco stuff in a magazine, i think its just another large company taking the bread and butter out of our mouths and i think we should be concerned. almost everyone is offering to insure your heating and plumbing systems these
days and its not good news for the one man band and small companys.
i have been in business on my own for 30 years and i have never known such a quite spell as i am right now and can only put it down to the reasons mentioned.

Supaplum, you nicking my status mate? Aint getting a shot of the suit pictured left though!

ha ha ! i like it, now you have shown me that im gonna get it all over my van. seriously it looks a bit too much like a yoga exercise for me. tried it last week and couldnt do it

But they give Clubcard points, can you offer the same incentive lol.

Don't panic as a consumer and not a plumber I for one would not go with Tesco I like to know my plumber we have a good plumber we can call on who is oftec registered and now knows our boiler. If you go with someone like Tesco chances are they would come and fit your boiler, then you would have a problem and a different plumber would turn up and so you would end up going round and round and round, at least when you stick to a good plumber you know you will get a good service as he already is familiar with your layout.

Tesco £1999.00 inc vat, think M&S are also involved, management Co in Truro running it Enact Energy, but can-not find out who is backing it, sneeky back door tactics reaks of BG involment, price only on like for like boiler swap, then they start adding on the extras, but you can get 10 years finnance from Tesco bank, time you have paid them intrest over 10 years, what then would be the saveings on running costs ??

prices from £1990.

i can match that for a straight swap.

Same here redsaw, I could do it for less and if needed I will !!! B&Q cant even match the price of WB boilers that my local merchant does.
If/when Tesco start pushing Worcesters then via the power of forums and organisations like Gassafe, we should let them know that we will stop fitting them and push other boilers. I can fit Main and Baxi all day long and make more money, and customers listen to my recommendation normally.

Its the path of least resistance. The big problem is they can offer finance agreements, unlike any plumber. Even though people would get a better deal on a bank loan, all they see is a new boiler for pennies every month,via a credit agreement. This is easier than having to cough for a lump sum and sort their own finances out.

How long does it take you to fit a boiler and what is the profit made on a installation, assuming a straight swap vented system boiler and a combination boiler?

I price at £175 per day labour + 10-15 % on materials i would be looking at a day and a half max for a straight swap, with another half a day rip out for replacing with a combi.

dont really want to be telling you how to run your business mate but i get more than that working for a company doing installs, i would be charging much more

Its the path of least resistance. The big problem is they can offer finance agreements, unlike any plumber. Even though people would get a better deal on a bank loan, all they see is a new boiler for pennies every month,via a credit agreement. This is easier than having to cough for a lump sum and sort their own finances out.

I can offer finance for heating systems, but not had any the past wee while. People are not going to be swayed with finance, I think it will be more a case of "Ill replace it when I absolutely need to". Times are changing and everyone is keeping hold of their money due to the climate. I saw an advert that BG was offering a boiler repair for £69 inc parts and labour. That's gonna be hard to beat!

Is there anything the super markets dont want to rule they have ruined the high street for years ( the internet has killed it though ) food clothes insurance banking now plumbing they should flipin middle men and banking comodities

Last edited by a moderator:
I price at £175 per day labour + 10-15 % on materials i would be looking at a day and a half max for a straight swap, with another half a day rip out for replacing with a combi.

It's not my place either to advise you what to charge but I must say, unless you are a committed philanthropist, you are working way below the level that your skill commands.

You are a skilled and valuable tradesman who literally holds the welfare and safety of the general public in your hands and for that you are worth much more. There used to be a free book available called the Lloyds Bank Small Business Guide which gave great advice including how to set a price and it was my bible when I first took over the business from my dad, well worth a read if you can find a copy.

Cheers

Dan

not a lot of people will be buying boilers after the green deal starts up later this year we will all be subbing for british gas at `100 pound a house

not a lot of people will be buying boilers after the green deal starts up later this year we will all be subbing for british gas at `100 pound a house

I agree with you a lot on this one.
Allegedly they will make it easy for SME's (small to medium enterprises) to be involved but the governments idea of what is a small enterprise is not your one or 2 man band.
They will put so called quality assurance obstacles (nothing more than a paper trail and no reflection on the actual ability to do the work) in place that will deter the majority of small independents so the only route in is by subbing to the big players (tesco is included in that) for whatever they can get.

The days of the small guy are numbered for any decent paying work.

in't there a law against that?.

capitalism or something where others cannot quote in the market/

in't there a law against that?.

capitalism or something where others cannot quote in the market/

It is theoretically open to everyone. Quality assurance is the killer for the small guy. Think MCS. Their idea of quality is all about management. Nothing much to do with if you can do a good job of it or not.

I’d wouldn't worry guys

remember Tesco VoIP? it closed down
Same with Tesco selling cars never got off the ground they wanted to sell x rental/company cars with 98000 miles on the clock
Same with them selling new cars
Cheap grey import market for sports shirts closed down by the courts

Last edited by a moderator:
So they say they want to support local engineers and small businesses, but then they say you must have a minimum of 5 registered Gas Safe engineers on your business.

So they say they want to support local engineers and small businesses, but then they say you must have a minimum of 5 registered Gas Safe engineers on your business.

That will be to take the H&S responsibility away from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tescos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock