Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss temporary electric shower. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. that bloke.

that bloke. Guest

my boiler isnt arriving until the 17 th so i am considering a temporary electric shower for the time being.

is it possible to connect a longer cable to it , run this into the next room then put a standard 3 amp plug onto it? i know its not ideal , my ring main is rcd protected and the mbc is rated at 20 amps.

what do you guys think ?

2. davetheplumber

davetheplumber Guest

No. what is the kw rating of the shower

3. that bloke.

that bloke. Guest

10.5 kw i think , its defo 10 something. why not? the socket and plug will be well away from any bathroom zones , in the next room.as far as i know it has to be on a switched power supply so isnt a plug socket a switched power supply?

4. oldplumber

oldplumber Guest

why not put this question to an electrical forum for a sensible answer because youve got to be taking the ++++ asking such a question here!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2010
  5. that bloke.

that bloke. Guest

why do you think im taking the ****? i am actually being quite serious. my boiler is now going to arrive on the 17th instead of this monday ,because of this the electrician isnt coming to do the bathroom electrics until the 19th , still not sure when the plumber is coming to do the boiler (he was going to do it tuesday) and i have a new born baby due on the 23rd so yes , i am very serious. i need to put in a temporary shower until i get the boiler and electrics in.

6. oldplumber

oldplumber Guest

10.5 kw =10500watts aps x volts = watts therefore watts/volts = amps.

10500/240 = 43.75 amps, so is your 3amp fuse going to work. next question how are you going to wire in 10mm twin and earth cable into a 13 amp plug, 10mm cable being the minimum size youll probably need to power a 10.5kw shower.

May have got a couple of things wrong, but not likely so hence my question are you taking the p*ss? Hindsights a great thing but you need to get your project management upto scratch and quickly by the look of things, why not send the missus and baby to the in laws, cos your solution is positively stupid and dangerous.

7. migoplumber

migoplumber Guest

STOP SWEARING.

the question is valid for somebody who does not understand.

NO it cant be done. and as said above positively dangerous to try.

8. oldplumber

oldplumber Guest

can you publish a list of the swearwords we can and cant use please, +*** wasnt a word i would consider swearing normally, is wee wee acceptable as in "are you taking the wee wee". Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
  9. migoplumber

migoplumber Guest

yep wee wee is totally acceptable old plumber, please use that in the future.
    many thanks

10. oldplumber

oldplumber Guest

thanks again, I do so like a sense of humour in our moderators,

11. that bloke.

that bloke. Guest

now thats the answer i was looking for , thank you. so it looks like i have a problem. so is wiring a shower within the realms of a plumbers expertise or should i take your advice and ask an electrician?

12. oldplumber

oldplumber Guest

what for, project managment?

13. that bloke.

that bloke. Guest

no , to give you a lesson in manners.
    :)

14. Robtheplumb

Robtheplumb Guest

he does know what he is talking about.

15. that bloke.

that bloke. Guest

i know , and his advice is greatly appreciated as well.