Search the forum,

Discuss Tech cert changes - the answer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jono1987

So ! as per the previous post "Tech cert changes" I have just got back from my information session. The jist:

The plumbing lecturer did his upmost to put us of the course, well that is the impression i got. We were basically told that we can register on the tech cert if we like and we have till december 2012 to complete it.

HOWEVER

As we all know as of september the tech cert will be no longer, what happens then - they dont know ! apparently they have no idea whatsoever about what will happen, this is sooner than the end of the first year, so potentially you can enrol on the tech cert and then by september you may find out it doesnt go with what will be the new nvq whether its still called nvq we dont no but due to the nature of plumbing your full qualification will still have to be acheived with site experience. So i suppose its best summed up the following way

1) Will you gain a recognised certificate - yes (not neccessarily one that will work with new NVQ)
2) will it tie in with the new NVQ (or whatever it will be named) at the end of the 2 years - theoretically yes but to what extent is unknown it may be that you have to redo some of the tasks from the tech cert which is both irritating and potentially costly !! -
3) remember that if you enrol on the tech cert now you will have to undertake the new style nvq which may not marry up as the new equivalent.
4) WOULD IT BE BETTER TO HOLD OF ENROLLING ON ANY NEW COURSES ANY WAIT UNTILL THE NEW ACADEMIC YEAR IN SEPTEMBER - YES

I hope all this is not too complicated and i have described this ok if you would like any bit explaining better or there is something i have missed then please let me know and feel free to pm me

hope this helps

Currently on week 4 of my 6129. Our Lecture told us the other day that whatever changes are made the tech cert will be fully transferable on to the NVQ or equivalent (if they change its name).

He said the main delay in the changes being made are due to the Summit Skills company being so notoriously slow for implementing any changes.

Currently on week 4 of my 6129. Our Lecture told us the other day that whatever changes are made the tech cert will be fully transferable on to the NVQ or equivalent (if they change its name).

He said the main delay in the changes being made are due to the Summit Skills company being so notoriously slow for implementing any changes.

All i will say is how can he guarentee you that when they dont know the changes ? as it stands the tech cert is designed to underpin/run along with the nvq 2, the work in each can be transferred. The new tech cert or dip[loma whatever its called will be designerd to run along with the new style nvq as is now, it may be that you have to duplkicate some work or that there will be a bridging task however he cannot give you such a guarentee !

All i will say is how can he guarentee you that when they dont know the changes ? as it stands the tech cert is designed to underpin/run along with the nvq 2, the work in each can be transferred. The new tech cert or dip[loma whatever its called will be designerd to run along with the new style nvq as is now, it may be that you have to duplkicate some work or that there will be a bridging task however he cannot give you such a guarentee !

there will not be a new tec cert. there will be a new NVQ ONLY! It will be called a diploma and some tec cert work should and probably be transferable, until we know please accept there will be no Tec cert under any name.

tec cert been extended for 1 year becuase the new diploma isnt ready, does this help anyone?

tec cert been extended for 1 year becuase the new diploma isnt ready, does this help anyone?

Starting ther 6129 in sept 2010 (SCAT), 2 evenings per week for 2 years. I did ask about the the changes happening, the lecturer assured that they wouldnt allow people to start the tech cert and not be able to go on to a full qualification, NVQ or QCF full qualification. SCAT is a very reputable college and I would be very suprised if they would allow students to get messed up in a scheme where they were unable to get a full qualification after spending 2 years studying. I may be wrong!!

hi mate im in the same boat, im doing the old tech cert with the nvq2, but theyve let me go onto year 2 to start with, and im also getting it funded, there are a lot of spare places at my college due to the fact that if you havnt got employment there's no point doing the course, are you finding the same at your place??

hi mate im in the same boat, im doing the old tech cert with the nvq2, but theyve let me go onto year 2 to start with, and im also getting it funded, there are a lot of spare places at my college due to the fact that if you havnt got employment there's no point doing the course, are you finding the same at your place??

Im starting at yr 1 for a 2 yr course, also got it funded. The assessor/lectuer said they have had alot of interest in the 6129 evening course. Not in employment with a plumber at the mo but got something lined up, didnt make a difference with the college if I did or not tho!

Starting ther 6129 in sept 2010 (SCAT), 2 evenings per week for 2 years. I did ask about the the changes happening, the lecturer assured that they wouldnt allow people to start the tech cert and not be able to go on to a full qualification, NVQ or QCF full qualification. SCAT is a very reputable college and I would be very suprised if they would allow students to get messed up in a scheme where they were unable to get a full qualification after spending 2 years studying. I may be wrong!!

dont get confussed with start dates and end dates

the last registration on the 6129 is actually Dec this year. Certification is about 2 or 3 years later, so if you start this sep you can do the course over 2 years, you cannot start in 1 years time though.

What you will get is a 6129 level2 tec cert, not the nvq unless you upgrade with an employer. you cannot do the old nvq if you wish to progress after dec this year, you will have to go on the new diploma.

a tech cert is not a full qualification as classed by summitskills the sector skills council for BS engineering. The NVQ 2 is, dont fall into the trap of thinking you will be considered a plumber with a 6129, you wont

Last edited by a moderator:
dont get confussed with start dates and end dates

the last registration on the 6129 is actually Dec this year. Certification is about 2 or 3 years later, so if you start this sep you can do the course over 2 years, you cannot start in 1 years time though.

What you will get is a 6129 level2 tec cert, not the nvq unless you upgrade with an employer. you cannot do the old nvq if you wish to progress after dec this year, you will have to go on the new diploma.

a tech cert is not a full qualification as classed by summitskills the sector skills council for BS engineering. The NVQ 2 is, dont fall into the trap of thinking you will be considered a plumber with a 6129, you wont

Hi fuzzy, thanks for the info. I arranged with the college to sign up for the NVQ before december, so hopfuly be ok. Cheers

fuzzy

so how do you further from 6129 into nvq2 (or recognised as a fully fledged plumber) when working full time not in plumbing firm - what then???? work placement on weekends ???

hi jamie, as long as you can get the nvq done in the timescale and have a plumber to take you on you shouldnt have a problem doing it just at weekends, dont forget you need to apply to do your nvq before december otherwise you will have to do the new framework from scratch, which i doubt you will want to.

hope this helps.

its the nvq thats changing cant think what there re-naming it but if you have done 6129 from 2008-2010 as long as you apply for the old nvq before september 2010 you can still do the old nvq on-site modules and most of your 6129 passes will be transfered onto it.. however if you dont apply for the old nvq before september 2010 your gonna end up doin the new qualification that there bringin in.. and starting basicaly all over again! so move quick!!

to be classed as a fully qualified plumber you have to be nvq level 3 qualified.. at least 4 years training...

thats one of the answers to one of your questions in the 6129 city & guilds basic plumbing exams.... still interested??

Last edited by a moderator:
rubs69, the actual end date to sign up to the nvq is december, and to become a qualified plumber the 6129&6089 is what you need, nvq level 3 is desirable but not essential if you only doing the wet side of things and not gas.

its the nvq thats changing cant think what there re-naming it but if you have done 6129 from 2008-2010 as long as you apply for the old nvq before september 2010 you can still do the old nvq on-site modules and most of your 6129 passes will be transfered onto it.. however if you dont apply for the old nvq before september 2010 your gonna end up doin the new qualification that there bringin in.. and starting basicaly all over again! so move quick!!

to be classed as a fully qualified plumber you have to be nvq level 3 qualified.. at least 4 years training...

thats one of the answers to one of your questions in the 6129 city & guilds basic plumbing exams.... still interested??

rubs you are worng with much of this. you dont have to start the new DIPLOMA again as you can APL (accredited prior learning ) the completed modules across.

a fully qualified plumber is an NVQ2, a advanced plumber is NVQ3(or equivilant). The tec cert doesnt mean you are a plumber, which i think is a bit harsh as its 80% of the qual anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tech cert changes - the answer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock