Search the forum,

Discuss Tax, CIS and materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Got some work to do for a builder who wants to deduct 20% at source
Im fine with this for labour but what happens about materials that I Buy?

So does that mean he needs to split the invoice when he sends it?

It would be better to show Labour and materials separate, then there's less chance of any mistakes.

The Builder will then pay you the full amount of the invoice minus 20% off labour only and he will send the tax amount he took to the revenue. That amount will be deducted from your tax return so you don't pay twice. I make sure my accountant is aware, just in case !

Here's 2 examples. All will be ÂŁ500 labour and ÂŁ1000 materials.
Your invoice would be shown as below

1. your vat registered and the job is subject or vat.
Materials. ÂŁ1000
Labour. ÂŁ500
CIs deduction ÂŁ100
Vat. ÂŁ300
Total ÂŁ1800

Total to pay on this invoice ÂŁ1700

2 your vat registered and the job is new build, so not subject to vat.
Materials. ÂŁ1000
Labour. ÂŁ500
Cis deduction. ÂŁ100
Total. ÂŁ 1500
Total to pay on this invoice ÂŁ1400

If your not vat registered, it's just the same as no vat.

It would be better to show Labour and materials separate, then there's less chance of any mistakes.

The Builder will then pay you the full amount of the invoice minus 20% off labour only and he will send the tax amount he took to the revenue. That amount will be deducted from your tax return so you don't pay twice. I make sure my accountant is aware, just in case !
That's where the CIS number comes in

Here's 2 examples. All will be ÂŁ500 labour and ÂŁ1000 materials.
Your invoice would be shown as below

1. your vat registered and the job is subject or vat.
Materials. ÂŁ1000
Labour. ÂŁ500
CIs deduction ÂŁ100
Vat. ÂŁ300
Total ÂŁ1800

Total to pay on this invoice ÂŁ1700

2 your vat registered and the job is new build, so not subject to vat.
Materials. ÂŁ1000
Labour. ÂŁ500
Cis deduction. ÂŁ100
Total. ÂŁ 1500
Total to pay on this invoice ÂŁ1400

If your not vat registered, it's just the same as no vat.
Thanks @Chalked for the great explanation. I was just thinking a couple of days ago how it works. Much appreciate it.

You should also receive an email/something in writing from them at the end of each month indicating how much tax they have paid to HMRC on your behalf.

I invoice with materials separate and I also tell them how much tax they must pay to IR.

I list it as follows
Labour + ÂŁ000
Cis @20% - ÂŁ000
Sub total ÂŁ000
Materials +ÂŁ000
Total payment ÂŁ000

With some Terms like - Cis tax to be paid to IR and a monthly CIS statement to be issued to ( name ) as required by law.

Also you may need to know that fuel for traveling should be in with Labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tax, CIS and materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
M
I have repeatedly low water pressure from my taps and shower - but only on my first floor - due to having filters blocked by some substance that is not sediment or limescale. The crystals are easily crushed and slightly waxy,slimey. I had their chemistry analysed at work. It is not sediment...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have a question about adding a second bathroom to a house. My parents house has one bathroom upstairs and the house is all mains fed the water tank was removed decades ago. They are converting the attic and will have a small bathroom with a toilet, basin and shower cubicle...
Replies
Views
As I recently had my HW cylinder replaced and we had to leave disconnected the solar thermal system from the HW cylinder and drained out the old glycol. What is involved in re-filling the thermal system with new glycol in terms of number of hours of labour and materials? I got a quote for a bit...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock