Search the forum,

Discuss Tapping sound in pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dtrom1984

IMG_0248.jpg

Hi there hoping someone can help (I am not an expert at all!). We have a 2 year old house and in the airing cupboard I have noticed a taping sound (started about 2 days ago) - it is like water dripping within the pipe. The tapping is coming from either the black or white part of the pipe as per the photo above. This pipe feeds in to the cylinder as per below:

IMG_0247.jpg

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, I`ll let the gsr guy`s advise you further.

the safety valve will be letting water down the black bit (tundish) into the white bit (dry trap). youll need to get a g3 plumber round to find out why...Welcome anyway..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, the tapping is actually a dripping sound... Chinese water torture ;)

If you don't get the tapping noise when the heats off then it's likely to be a pipe expanding and rubbing against some wood,a temporary fix for a few months is lubricate the pipe as it enters the floorboard by squirting some washing up liquid down there

Thank you all for your help - this forum is brilliant!

Unfortunately the noise is constant - heating/water on or off. I am thinking of getting a plumber to have a look at it? Could it be anything major?

At 2 year old I would think it is nothing too major.
It has to be serviced once a year by a G3 qualified plumber for safety and for units warranty (normally 25year)
The unit has a pressure limiting device, pressure relief valves and an expansion facility of a certain type to prevent ordinary excess pressure. Something is wrong with one or more of these and the G3 person will need to test and make adjustments.

Last edited:
The black part is a tundish, can you see water dripping, if so one of the relief valves is passing either temp on top of the cylinder or relief linked to the inlet reducing valve

As said previously, please get in a pro to look at it. And make sure that he has a g3/unvented qualification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tapping sound in pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock