Search the forum,

Discuss tapping noise from the ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tapping noise coming from the ceiling because of the flat upstairs. I live in block of flats. its sounds like a water driping but there s no leak. have been monitoring for about 3 days . my ceiling is fine. I know that upstairs flat had a leak from the cylinder tank upstairs and they stopped the leak. Since then I have problem of this annoying tapping noise. Never had the noise before. Its usually in mornings and evenings. I know their boiler is in the kitchen and the tapping noise where i can hear comes from where they have got cylinder tank. Could you pls advise me what can i do to stop this annoying noise.

If it is from the flat upstairs, then it is up to the owner to sort it.
It might be a hot pipe (a hot water outlet pipe, or a heating system pipe) which is installed too tight to woodwork, most likely.
But it also can be caused by an old motorised valve faulty and slipping inside while heating running.
I would guess hot pipe against something as first thing to have investigated.

If it is from the flat upstairs, then it is up to the owner to sort it.
It might be a hot pipe (a hot water outlet pipe, or a heating system pipe) which is installed too tight to woodwork, most likely.
But it also can be caused by an old motorised valve faulty and slipping inside while heating running.
I would guess hot pipe against something as first thing to have investigated.
Thank you Best.
If I am hearing tapping noise from the ceiling surely the tenants living upstairs should hear that same noise from that exact place where the cylinder tank is fitted. I will speak to the landlord of the flat upstairs and see what he does. Its very unlikely he will do anything since I know him very well. He doesnot care about other people living in the block as long as he gets the rent. Will update you on this situation.
Many Thanks

I know that upstairs flat had a leak from the cylinder tank upstairs and they stopped the leak. Since then I have problem of this annoying tapping noise. Never had the noise before.

The leak may have soaked some timbers and caused them to swell and tighten around a heating pipe. If this is the case, there is a fair chance it will fix itself as the damp woodwork dries out. This could take a few weeks to happen.

I hadn't thought of damp wood as a possible cause.
Let's hope it does improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tapping noise from the ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock